On 14.06.19 17:46, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote: > 13.06.2019 1:09, Max Reitz wrote: >> This allows us to differentiate between filters and nodes with COW >> backing files: Filters cannot be used as overlays at all (for this >> function). >> >> Signed-off-by: Max Reitz > > Overlay created in snapshot operation assumed to consume following writes > and it's filtered child becomes readonly.. And filter works in completely another > way. > > Reviewed-by: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy > > [hmm, I start to like using "filtered child" collocation when I say about this thing. > didn't you think about renaming backing chain to filtered chain?] Hm. There are backing chains and there are backing chains. There are qemu-internal backing chains that consist of a healthy mix of filters and COW overlays, and then there are the more high-level backing chains the user actually manages, where only the overlays are important. I think it would make sense to rename the “qemu-internal backing chains" to “filter chains” or something. But that makes it sound a bit like it would only mean R/W filters... Maybe just “chain”? Actually, the only functions I find are is_backing_chain_frozen & Co, and they could simply become is_chain_frozen. Is there anything else? Max