On 16.07.19 02:01, John Snow wrote: > Accept bitmaps and sync policies for the other backup modes. > This allows us to do things like create a bitmap synced to a full backup > without a transaction, or start a resumable backup process. > > Some combinations don't make sense, though: > > - NEVER policy combined with any non-BITMAP mode doesn't do anything, > because the bitmap isn't used for input or output. > It's harmless, but is almost certainly never what the user wanted. > > - sync=NONE is more questionable. It can't use on-success because this > job never completes with success anyway, and the resulting artifact > of 'always' is suspect: because we start with a full bitmap and only > copy out segments that get written to, the final output bitmap will > always be ... a fully set bitmap. > > Maybe there's contexts in which bitmaps make sense for sync=none, > but not without more severe changes to the current job, and omitting > it here doesn't prevent us from adding it later. > > Signed-off-by: John Snow > --- > block/backup.c | 8 +------- > blockdev.c | 22 ++++++++++++++++++++++ > qapi/block-core.json | 6 ++++-- > 3 files changed, 27 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-) Reviewed-by: Max Reitz (I’ve seen Markus’s concern, but I think management applications can just see whether specifying sync={full,top} + bitmap works if they want to use it.)