qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk>
To: Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com>,
	Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>,
	 QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Cc: "Laurent Vivier" <lvivier@redhat.com>,
	"Richard Henderson" <richard.henderson@linaro.org>,
	"Cornelia Huck" <cohuck@redhat.com>,
	"Philippe Mathieu-Daudé" <philmd@redhat.com>,
	"Alex Bennée" <alex.bennee@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: any remaining for-6.0 issues?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 14:57:56 +0100	[thread overview]

On 14/04/2021 13:48, Thomas Huth wrote:

> On 12/04/2021 17.32, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Last call to note anything we need to fix for 6.0 on
>> https://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/6.0#Known_issues please.
>> The schedule is to tag rc3 tomorrow, which I would ideally like
>> to be the last rc before release. After rc3 I will only be taking
>> fixes for bugs which are absolutely critical...
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I've seen some intermittend, non-reproducible crashes with usermode QEMU in some of
> my CI runs, e.g.:
>
> https://gitlab.com/thuth/qemu/-/jobs/1178256498#L3876
>
> https://gitlab.com/thuth/qemu/-/jobs/1146276208#L3241
>
> This was only with ccache enabled, so I thought that it might be related to my
> work-in-progress ccache patches...
>
> ... but now Cornelia reported that she has seen such a crash in one of her branches,
> too (which is completely unrelated to my ccache patches):
>
> https://gitlab.com/cohuck/qemu/-/jobs/1178860927#L3867
>
> That makes me wonder whether we currently have a real problem with user-mode in the
> master branch? Did anybody else see such problems?

I've definitely seen the same issue as Cornelia in my Gitlab CI builds for the ESP
security fixes (first version of which appeared just before rc0). The user builds
always fail on "run-tcg-tests-s390x-linux-user" for me.

Looking back through my gitlab CI history for the ESP patches I first see the issue
in clang-user here:

   https://gitlab.com/mcayland/qemu/-/pipelines/278781899 (master: ec2e6e01)

and for the PR I just sent the failure is now present in build-user:

   https://gitlab.com/mcayland/qemu/-/pipelines/285320238

The last build I have that succeeded before seeing the clang-user failure is this one:

   https://gitlab.com/mcayland/qemu/-/pipelines/271328298 (master: 757acb9a)

That seems to suggest that the issue was first introduced in git master somewhere
between 757acb9a and ec2e6e01.

ATB,

Mark.