qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: "Philippe Mathieu-Daudé" <philmd@redhat.com>
To: Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com>
Cc: QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>,
	Lucien Murray-Pitts <lucienmp.qemu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Peculiar reply from mail list handler???
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 13:28:59 +0200	[thread overview]

On 10/5/19 9:09 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 18:13, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'm not clear on the particulars of mail delivery protocols or what
>> lists.sr.ht is, but we indeed do not like HTML mail sent to this list.
>
> I suspect the lists.sr.ht address is just some subscriber to the
> QEMU mailing list -- the list server sent your mail to all
> the subscribers, including that one, which then complained
> to you. But the QEMU list itself is OK with HTML email
> (we prefer plain text, but we don't reject HTML).

I subscribed to sr.ht some time ago to test the service because they
provide a CI, git hosting, mailing list, so this might come from my
account. If so, I'm surprise it send email on the subscriber behalf.

Per https://man.sr.ht/lists.sr.ht/etiquette.md#plain-text:

   Rich text is not desirable for development-oriented email
   conversations, so you should disable this feature and send
   your email as "plain text". Every email client is different,
   you should research the options for your specific client.
   HTML emails are rejected by all sr.ht services.

Surprisingly there is no option to allow HTML... (plain text is a design
feature).