From: Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org>
To: "Alex G." <mr.nuke.me@gmail.com>
Cc: Sinan Kaya <okaya@kernel.org>,
	Alexandru Gagniuc <alex_gagniuc@dellteam.com>,
	Keith Busch <keith.busch@intel.com>,
	Jan Vesely <jano.vesely@gmail.com>,
	Lukas Wunner <lukas@wunner.de>,
	Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@redhat.com>,
	Austin Bolen <austin_bolen@dell.com>,
	Shyam Iyer <Shyam_Iyer@dell.com>,
	linux-pci@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>,
	Lucas Stach <l.stach@pengutronix.de>,
	Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com>, Ben Skeggs <skeggsb@gmail.com>,
	Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com>,
	Myron Stowe <myron.stowe@redhat.com>,
	"A. Vladimirov" <vladimirov.atanas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Issues with "PCI/LINK: Report degraded links via link bandwidth notification"
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:56:19 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 06:07:36PM -0600, Alex G. wrote:
> On 1/28/21 5:51 PM, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> > On 1/28/2021 6:39 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > > AFAICT, this thread petered out with no resolution.
> > >
> > > If the bandwidth change notifications are important to somebody,
> > > please speak up, preferably with a patch that makes the notifications
> > > disabled by default and adds a parameter to enable them (or some other
> > > strategy that makes sense).
> > >
> > > I think these are potentially useful, so I don't really want to just
> > > revert them, but if nobody thinks these are important enough to fix,
> > > that's a possibility.
> >
> > Hide behind debug or expert option by default? or even mark it as BROKEN
> > until someone fixes it?
> >
> Instead of making it a config option, wouldn't it be better as a kernel
> parameter? People encountering this seem quite competent in passing kernel
> arguments, so having a "pcie_bw_notification=off" would solve their
> problems.

I don't want people to have to discover a parameter to solve issues.
If there's a parameter, notification should default to off, and people
who want notification should supply a parameter to enable it.  Same
thing for the sysfs idea.

I think we really just need to figure out what's going on.  Then it
should be clearer how to handle it.  I'm not really in a position to
debug the root cause since I don't have the hardware or the time.  If
nobody can figure out what's going on, I think we'll have to make it
disabled by default.