From: Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@gmail.com>
To: git@vger.kernel.org
Cc: "brian m . carlson" <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net>,
	"Martin Ågren" <martin.agren@gmail.com>,
	"Bagas Sanjaya" <bagasdotme@gmail.com>,
	"Jeff King" <peff@peff.net>, "Junio C Hamano" <gitster@pobox.com>,
	"Felipe Contreras" <felipe.contreras@gmail.com>
Subject: [RFC/NOPATCHv3 0/4] doc: asciidoctor: direct man page creation and fixes (brian's version)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 15:30:53 -0500	[thread overview]

I'm sending this stub series because 1. it's still in 'seen' [1], 2. my
conflicting version is not in 'seen' [2], and 3. brian has not responded
to my constructive criticism of his version [3].

This is exactly the same as what brian sent and is in
bc/doc-asciidoctor-to-man-wo-xmlto, except I have split the first patch
into three logically separate changes, which I did suggest him to do,
but he didn't.

To be crystal clear: I am *NOT* proposing these patches to be merged,
that's why I'm marking them RFC/NOPATCH so there's no confusion.

I think these should be dropped, as my series contains these changes
already, but split logically, with better commit messages, more fixes
which reduce the doc-diff, and contains patches from both Martin Ågren
and Jeff King, as well as many cleanups.

My version has 837 less lines of doc-diff (plus has the
--to-asciidoctor-direct option), and also applies cleanly to master.

On top of these patches I'm going to comment all my objections (again).

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/YMvhoXVBoO08ziI1@camp.crustytoothpaste.net/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/20210608090026.1737348-1-felipe.contreras@gmail.com/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/git/609ed529e2306_431272087@natae.notmuch/

brian m. carlson (4):
  doc: add an option to have Asciidoctor build man pages directly
  doc: add linkgit macros for asciidoctor
  doc: use XML-style escapes only for HTML and XML
  doc: remove GNU_ROFF option

 Documentation/Makefile                  | 25 +++++++++++++++----------
 Documentation/asciidoctor-extensions.rb |  2 ++
 Documentation/manpage-quote-apos.xsl    | 16 ----------------
 Makefile                                |  8 ++++----
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/manpage-quote-apos.xsl

--
2.32.0