From: Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com>
To: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>
Cc: Daniel Borkmann <daniel@iogearbox.net>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>,
	Paolo Abeni <pabeni@redhat.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@google.com>,
	Alexei Starovoitov <ast@kernel.org>,
	Andrii Nakryiko <andrii@kernel.org>,
	Network Development <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	bpf <bpf@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: pull-request: bpf 2022-08-10
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 00:06:52 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 9:18 PM Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 20:53:57 -0700 Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:06:24 +0200 Daniel Borkmann wrote:
> > > The following pull-request contains BPF updates for your *net* tree.
> >
> > Could you follow up before we send the PR to Linus if this is legit?
> >
> > kernel/bpf/syscall.c:5089:5: warning: no previous prototype for function 'kern_sys_bpf' [-Wmissing-prototypes]
> > int kern_sys_bpf(int cmd, union bpf_attr *attr, unsigned int size)
> >     ^
> > kernel/bpf/syscall.c:5089:1: note: declare 'static' if the function is not intended to be used outside of this translation unit
> > int kern_sys_bpf(int cmd, union bpf_attr *attr, unsigned int size)
>
> Looking at the code it seems intentional, even if questionable.
> I wish BPF didn't have all these W=1 warnings, I always worry
> we'll end up letting an real one in since the CI only compares
> counts and the counts seem to fluctuate.

Yeah. It is intentional.
We used all sorts of hacks to shut up this pointless warning.
Just grep for __diag_ignore_all("-Wmissing-prototypes
in two files already.
Here I've opted for the explicit hack and the comment.
Pushed this fix to bpf tree:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bpf/bpf.git/commit/?id=4e4588f1c4d2e67c993208f0550ef3fae33abce4

Please consider pulling these changes from:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bpf/bpf.git