On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 13:06 -0500, David Young wrote: > Solution 2: increase the radiotap version number, and start over from > bit 0. Now we need a "legacy" parser for v0, 0 <= bit <= 13, > and a "next gen" parser for v1. No v0 header with bits >= > 14 set can be interpreted without ambiguity. > > 2a: adopt all of the legacy presence bits 0 through 13 in v1 > 2b: adopt some of the legacy presence bits in v1 > 2c: start from scratch for v1 Personally, I favour solution 2a as it allows us to easily port parsers and even share code, but before we do that, we need a good way to allow vendor-specific extensions. I've been thinking that a format with an explicit length field like 802.11 information elements would have been easier for this (think 802.11 vendor-specific IEs) but I'm sure we can come up with a solution for vendor-specific fields, for example breaking the "bit ordering" == "element ordering" for them and requiring them to be last at all times or something similar. johannes