RadioTap Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Guy Harris <guy-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
To: Johannes Berg <johannes-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q@public.gmane.org>
Cc: David Young <dyoung-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>,
	radiotap-S783fYmB3Ccdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org,
	Simon Barber <simon-vp0mx6+5gkqFX2APIN6yfw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] capture file timestamping
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:47:48 -0700

On Aug 25, 2015, at 9:46 AM, Johannes Berg <johannes-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> The timestamps added by the capture (e.g. tcpdump) are also notoriously
> unreliable since there are processing delays - even without reordering.

If you have tcpdump 4.6 or later, with libpcap 1.6 or later, on Linux, you should have the --time-stamp-type and --list-time-stamp-types options.

If so, what does

	tcpdump --list-time-stamp-types

print?

If it prints "adapter" or "adapter_unsynced", you might want to try those with the --time-stamp-type option, as those time stamp types mean that the time stamp will come from the adapter rather than from Linux.  ("unsynced" means that the time stamps aren't synchronized with the host's clock.)

That won't address

> b) the timestamps there are at the end of the frame,
>    beginning is much more useful

unless that's how the adapter time-stamps the packet and won't address

> c) the timer I'm getting is an internal hardware timer and I can't
>    easily derive either a TSF-based value, nor easily put it at the
>    first bit/symbol of the MPDU (since it's earlier) [*]

unless it's based on the TSF (which it probably won't be, as it should, at least in principle, be Epoch time, although I think Linux may have, at some point, changed adapter time stamps in a fashion making them not useful as libpcap time stamps).

(I.e., the "host time stamps are applied at times not well correlated with actual network events" problem is not best solved with radiotap, it's best solved by libpcap and the capture mechanism atop which it runs, but "I want a time stamp that comes from the TSF timers" is one best solved with radiotap.)

  parent reply index