radiotap.netbsd.org archive mirror
* Re: Standardisation - adding 2 bit STBC and Ness to MCS
@ 2013-05-01 14:34 Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2013-05-01 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-qavaossjCcEdnm+yROfE0A, simon-vp0mx6+5gkqFX2APIN6yfw,
	johannes-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q, Adrian Chadd
  Cc: ath9k-devel-xDcbHBWguxHbcTqmT+pZeQ,
	linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hallo all,

> http://www.radiotap.org/suggested-fields/MCS%20extension%20for%20STBC%20and%20Ness
>
> I have posted 3 patches on the proposal page (see Attachments):
>
> 1. A patch that applies to the Linux kernel v3.7-rc1 to collect the new
> STBC and Ness parameters from a wireless driver, and add them into the
> MCS radiotap field.
> 2. A patch to the Intel wireless driver in the kernel to collect STBC
> and Ness information.
> 3. A patch to wireshark to display STBC and Ness information.
>
> With this I believe we have everything needed to start the 3 week
> comment period.

There is a bit more then 3 week now. I would like to have this approved :)
Are there any thing needed to finish this?

Beside, i have one question about how STBC work. According to differnet
docs, i assume that:
- STBC is done by sending, at least, two stream with same data in
different order.
- It means for me, that real use of STBC can be made only on MIMO hardware.
- If 1x1 receiver indicates that it got STBC encoded frame, it dos not
meant, it would be able to use redundant data from second stream.
- There are fallowing STBC schemes: Alamouti’s
STBC for 2 transmit antennas and orthogonal STBC for 3 and 4 transmit
antennas.

According to this information, what do we call 1,2 or 3 stream STBC?
Since STBC should have minimal 2 stream, but in same time we have 1x1
and 2x2 hardware which able to receive and decode STBC stream i assume:
	- RX-STBC1 is for compatibility only. No data redundancy.
	- RX-STBC12 - can be used Alamouti’s schema with 2 streams. Mostly used
method.
	- RX-STBC123 - is orthogonal schema and not widely used method. Since
last method use wide spectrum to transmit data comparable to SISO
stream, it makes almost no sense. But 3-stream method get optimal error
corect in compare with 2 and 4 strea schemas.

Do this assumptions correct?

PS: My assumptions based on "MIMO Space-Time Block Coding (STBC):
Simulations and Results"
Oleksij

* Re: Standardisation - adding 2 bit STBC and Ness to MCS
       [not found]             ` <518917C4.9090607-YEK0n+YFykbzxQdaRaTXBw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-07 16:09               ` Jonathan Bither
From: Jonathan Bither @ 2013-05-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel
  Cc: linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Johannes Berg,
	radiotap-S783fYmB3Ccdnm+yROfE0A

On Tue 07 May 2013 11:03:32 AM EDT, Oleksij Rempel wrote:
> Am 07.05.2013 16:59, schrieb Jonathan Bither:

>>> Or actually, go to step 5, preferably reposting it as a separate
>>> thread.
>> It looks as if someone already proposed this as a suggested field on
>> '2012-05-14 23:49:35' without any replies as far as I can tell.
>> http://www.radiotap.org/suggested-fields/MCS%20extension%20for%20STBC%20and%20Ness
>>

> Yes, Simon did it last year. I send this link on my first email...
> In my opinion, this should be just ACKed. Every thing what was needed
> to do, is already done.

Whoops, one of those days I guess. Sorry for the noise.

* Re: Standardisation - adding 2 bit STBC and Ness to MCS
       [not found]           ` <518916D1.4070902-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-07 15:03             ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2013-05-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Bither
  Cc: linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Johannes Berg,
	radiotap-qavaossjCcEdnm+yROfE0A

       [not found]         ` <1367934904.8328.32.camel-8Nb76shvtaUJvtFkdXX2HixXY32XiHfO@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-07 14:25           ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2013-05-07 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg
  Cc: radiotap-qavaossjCcEdnm+yROfE0A, simon-vp0mx6+5gkqFX2APIN6yfw,
	Adrian Chadd, ath9k-devel-xDcbHBWguxHbcTqmT+pZeQ,

Am 07.05.2013 15:55, schrieb Johannes Berg:
> On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 15:54 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

>>> ping.
>>>
>>> Johannes, are you the one who says last word on standardisation for
>>> radiotap?
>>
>> No? I thought the link made that pretty clear.
>>
>> But since nobody poked holes in this and it's been a long time, I think
>> you should probably just post "this has been adopted now" ...
>
> Or actually, go to step 5, preferably reposting it as a separate thread.

Simon,

will you do it? You stared it and did most of the work...

Oleksij

* Re: Standardisation - adding 2 bit STBC and Ness to MCS
       [not found]       ` <1367934867.8328.31.camel-8Nb76shvtaUJvtFkdXX2HixXY32XiHfO@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-07 13:55         ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2013-05-07 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel
  Cc: radiotap-qavaossjCcEdnm+yROfE0A, simon-vp0mx6+5gkqFX2APIN6yfw,

       [not found]     ` <5188AFFE.6070804-YEK0n+YFykbzxQdaRaTXBw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-07 13:54       ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2013-05-07 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel
  Cc: radiotap-qavaossjCcEdnm+yROfE0A, simon-vp0mx6+5gkqFX2APIN6yfw,

       [not found]   ` <1367527479.11375.19.camel-8Nb76shvtaUJvtFkdXX2HixXY32XiHfO@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-07  7:40     ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2013-05-07  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg
  Cc: radiotap-qavaossjCcEdnm+yROfE0A, simon-vp0mx6+5gkqFX2APIN6yfw,

       [not found] ` <518127ED.9060900-YEK0n+YFykbzxQdaRaTXBw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-05-03 21:12   ` Simon Barber
From: Simon Barber @ 2013-05-03 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel
  Cc: radiotap-qavaossjCcEdnm+yROfE0A, johannes-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q,
	Adrian Chadd, ath9k-devel-xDcbHBWguxHbcTqmT+pZeQ,
	linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

I did post example code as attachments to the suggested-fields page a
few months ago. Click on 'attachments' to view them. There are 3:

1. Intel wlan driver patch
2. Kernel patch
3. Wireshark patch.

Simon