radiotap.netbsd.org archive mirror
* Vendor Namespace Question
@ 2014-11-04 18:37 C. McPherson
       [not found] ` <54591CF9.7030106-H+0wwilmMs3R7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: C. McPherson @ 2014-11-04 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

Hello all:
I was just trying to use the latest stable backports-3.18-rc1-1 and I
noticed that there is no longer structure members in the
ieee80211_rx_status structure for Vendor namespace information?  In my
backports 3.14 version I used them to add some register information to
the radiotap header in the lab. How does one use the vendor name space
without those structure members?

Thanks for you assistance
Clyde

* Re: Vendor Namespace Question
       [not found] ` <54591CF9.7030106-H+0wwilmMs3R7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-11-04 19:47   ` Johannes Berg
       [not found]     ` <1415130476.2064.22.camel-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Johannes Berg @ 2014-11-04 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C. McPherson; +Cc: linux-wireless, radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 13:37 -0500, C. McPherson wrote:
> Hello all:
> I was just trying to use the latest stable backports-3.18-rc1-1 and I
> noticed that there is no longer structure members in the
> ieee80211_rx_status structure for Vendor namespace information?  In my
> backports 3.14 version I used them to add some register information to
> the radiotap header in the lab. How does one use the vendor name space
> without those structure members?

We removed this from the Linux kernel because there was no driver using
it and we needed the space for other purposes. That said, it shouldn't
be too difficult to put it back by keeping the OUI/subtype also in the
skb->data rather than the rx_status (which is now full enough to no
longer have space for it, I believe)

johannes

@ 2014-11-04 20:18       ` C. McPherson
       [not found]         ` <5459349F.9020903-H+0wwilmMs3R7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: C. McPherson @ 2014-11-04 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-wireless, radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

Thanks so much for the info Johannes. I did notice that rx_status was
getting full.  I'll go ahead and put it in skb->data, that's a good idea.
Clyde

@ 2014-11-06 22:31           ` Johannes Berg
       [not found]             ` <1415313070.17015.19.camel-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Johannes Berg @ 2014-11-06 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C. McPherson; +Cc: linux-wireless, radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 15:18 -0500, C. McPherson wrote:
> Thanks so much for the info Johannes. I did notice that rx_status was
> getting full.  I'll go ahead and put it in skb->data, that's a good idea.

I just sent a patch to restore vendor radiotap stuff in mac80211.

Works for me, and I might actually have a use case for it, but please
tell me if you have issues with it.

johannes

@ 2014-11-12 20:55               ` C. McPherson
From: C. McPherson @ 2014-11-12 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: linux-wireless, radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

I've been off for a while, but I will download it and use it. Thanks
Johannes!!