radiotap.netbsd.org archive mirror
* DMG Support
@ 2019-06-27 17:15 Krishna Chaitanya
       [not found] ` <CABPxzYLh=fcGFFAMxcNY9pFN8HOczgoPcYe_+NNMiW-uuRDe5Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Krishna Chaitanya @ 2019-06-27 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-S783fYmB3Ccdnm+yROfE0A
  Cc: realrichardsharpe-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, guy-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A

Hi Guys,

I am looking at support for DMG specific fields to radiotap, the only
discussion I have found didn't reach any conclusion [1].

Is there a plan to support these fields? It definitely needs a DMG
Type field with at least below params (from top of my head)

- MCS (and extended MCS) along with data rate mapping
   - C-PHY
   - SC-PHY
   - Low power SC-PHY
   -OFDM
- Beam/Sector/Antenna ID Information
- RCPI

[1] https://seclists.org/wireshark/2015/Aug/158

Chaitanya T K.

* Re: DMG Support
       [not found] ` <CABPxzYLh=fcGFFAMxcNY9pFN8HOczgoPcYe_+NNMiW-uuRDe5Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-27 18:14   ` Richard Sharpe
       [not found]     ` <CACyXjPz5YD9VUcmbtO68nexEbjpaQOeZnLixs078c3FvW2B7eA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Richard Sharpe @ 2019-06-27 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishna Chaitanya; +Cc: radiotap-S783fYmB3Ccdnm+yROfE0A

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:16 AM Krishna Chaitanya
<chaitanya.mgit-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am looking at support for DMG specific fields to radiotap, the only
> discussion I have found didn't reach any conclusion [1].
>
> Is there a plan to support these fields? It definitely needs a DMG
> Type field with at least below params (from top of my head)
>
> - MCS (and extended MCS) along with data rate mapping
>    - C-PHY
>    - SC-PHY
>    - Low power SC-PHY
>    -OFDM
> - Beam/Sector/Antenna ID Information
> - RCPI

Is there any kernel capture code or any other device that would support this?

The general procedure to get there, however, is:

1. Propose the new header.
2. Implement code in Wireshark to handle the header and include useful
info in the pseudo-header
3. Implement code that can generate sample captures with the new header.
4. Get someone to add such DMG support to DMG-capable devices to
generate the new header.

Richard Sharpe
(何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)(传说杜康是酒的发明者)

* Re: DMG Support
       [not found]     ` <CACyXjPz5YD9VUcmbtO68nexEbjpaQOeZnLixs078c3FvW2B7eA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-27 19:56       ` Krishna Chaitanya
       [not found]         ` <CABPxzYJyabjkEx5SwF_iED8=vBcUxFj7WtHYG=n8ssAb6u5O_g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Krishna Chaitanya @ 2019-06-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Sharpe; +Cc: radiotap-S783fYmB3Ccdnm+yROfE0A

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:16 AM Krishna Chaitanya
> <chaitanya.mgit-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I am looking at support for DMG specific fields to radiotap, the only
> > discussion I have found didn't reach any conclusion [1].
> >
> > Is there a plan to support these fields? It definitely needs a DMG
> > Type field with at least below params (from top of my head)
> >
> > - MCS (and extended MCS) along with data rate mapping
> >    - C-PHY
> >    - SC-PHY
> >    - Low power SC-PHY
> >    -OFDM
> > - Beam/Sector/Antenna ID Information
> > - RCPI
>
> Is there any kernel capture code or any other device that would support this?
Yes, https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/net/wireless/ath/wil6210/txrx.c#L317.
(Only upstream DMG driver) But, it has minimal info due to lack of DMG
specific fields.
Although, I am not sure whether it supports other PHY info than MCS and RSSI.
We could query beams, but beam info is not present in rx_desc.

> The general procedure to get there, however, is:
>
> 1. Propose the new header.
> 2. Implement code in Wireshark to handle the header and include useful
> info in the pseudo-header
> 3. Implement code that can generate sample captures with the new header.
> 4. Get someone to add such DMG support to DMG-capable devices to
> generate the new header.

Yes, that's the norm. Before proposing the fields, just wanted to
check if there is an ongoing work or
some kind of decision. So, should I go ahead and propose those fields?

* Re: DMG Support
       [not found]         ` <CABPxzYJyabjkEx5SwF_iED8=vBcUxFj7WtHYG=n8ssAb6u5O_g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-27 20:40           ` Richard Sharpe
       [not found]             ` <CACyXjPzNkK6Uq5kbA8O2e_4szD7T9r6DifkLCQ5ks1h1e4sAPg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Richard Sharpe @ 2019-06-27 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishna Chaitanya; +Cc: radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:56 PM Krishna Chaitanya
<chaitanya.mgit-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM Richard Sharpe
> <realrichardsharpe-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:16 AM Krishna Chaitanya
> > <chaitanya.mgit-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I am looking at support for DMG specific fields to radiotap, the only
> > > discussion I have found didn't reach any conclusion [1].
> > >
> > > Is there a plan to support these fields? It definitely needs a DMG
> > > Type field with at least below params (from top of my head)
> > >
> > > - MCS (and extended MCS) along with data rate mapping
> > >    - C-PHY
> > >    - SC-PHY
> > >    - Low power SC-PHY
> > >    -OFDM
> > > - Beam/Sector/Antenna ID Information
> > > - RCPI
> >
> > Is there any kernel capture code or any other device that would support this?
> Yes, https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/net/wireless/ath/wil6210/txrx.c#L317.
> (Only upstream DMG driver) But, it has minimal info due to lack of DMG
> specific fields.
> Although, I am not sure whether it supports other PHY info than MCS and RSSI.
> We could query beams, but beam info is not present in rx_desc.
>
> > The general procedure to get there, however, is:
> >
> > 1. Propose the new header.
> > 2. Implement code in Wireshark to handle the header and include useful
> > info in the pseudo-header
> > 3. Implement code that can generate sample captures with the new header.
> > 4. Get someone to add such DMG support to DMG-capable devices to
> > generate the new header.
>
> Yes, that's the norm. Before proposing the fields, just wanted to
> check if there is an ongoing work or
> some kind of decision. So, should I go ahead and propose those fields?

I would say yes. Take note that any new headers should use the new TLV format.

Also, there has been a proposal for an S1G header so you might want to
use the next available type.

Richard Sharpe
(何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)(传说杜康是酒的发明者)

* Re: DMG Support
       [not found]             ` <CACyXjPzNkK6Uq5kbA8O2e_4szD7T9r6DifkLCQ5ks1h1e4sAPg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-28  8:02               ` Krishna Chaitanya
       [not found]                 ` <CABPxzYKAc=J6x0UcC4TpSvgfuymyWS4N8bwCnA_dnDdS1rdgAw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Krishna Chaitanya @ 2019-06-28  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Sharpe; +Cc: radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 2:12 AM Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 12:56 PM Krishna Chaitanya
> <chaitanya.mgit-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM Richard Sharpe
> > <realrichardsharpe-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > > Is there any kernel capture code or any other device that would support this?
> > Yes, https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/net/wireless/ath/wil6210/txrx.c#L317.
> > (Only upstream DMG driver) But, it has minimal info due to lack of DMG
> > specific fields.
> > Although, I am not sure whether it supports other PHY info than MCS and RSSI.
> > We could query beams, but beam info is not present in rx_desc.
> >
> > > The general procedure to get there, however, is:
> > >
> > > 1. Propose the new header.
> > > 2. Implement code in Wireshark to handle the header and include useful
> > > info in the pseudo-header
> > > 3. Implement code that can generate sample captures with the new header.
> > > 4. Get someone to add such DMG support to DMG-capable devices to
> > > generate the new header.
> >
> > Yes, that's the norm. Before proposing the fields, just wanted to
> > check if there is an ongoing work or
> > some kind of decision. So, should I go ahead and propose those fields?
>
> I would say yes. Take note that any new headers should use the new TLV format.
>
> Also, there has been a proposal for an S1G header so you might want to
> use the next available type.
Okay, but looks like the TLV and S1G proposals are still WIP, so I will wait for
them to be merged and then start on DMG. Thanks.

* Re: DMG Support
@ 2019-06-28  8:24                   ` Johannes Berg
       [not found]                     ` <dfef0682ee1af5e92ccc6551f888b0118fcdd2f4.camel-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Johannes Berg @ 2019-06-28  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishna Chaitanya, Richard Sharpe; +Cc: radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

On Fri, 2019-06-28 at 13:32 +0530, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:

> Okay, but looks like the TLV and S1G proposals are still WIP, so I will wait for
> them to be merged and then start on DMG. Thanks.

TLV is merged, S1G is still WIP but there's no need to wait for it, just
don't take the same number for working on DMG.

johannes

* Re: DMG Support
@ 2019-06-28  9:55                       ` Krishna Chaitanya
From: Krishna Chaitanya @ 2019-06-28  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg; +Cc: Richard Sharpe, radiotap-sUITvd46vNxg9hUCZPvPmw

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 1:54 PM Johannes Berg <johannes-cdvu00un1VgdHxzADdlk8Q@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-06-28 at 13:32 +0530, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:
> >
> > Okay, but looks like the TLV and S1G proposals are still WIP, so I will wait for
> > them to be merged and then start on DMG. Thanks.
>
> TLV is merged, S1G is still WIP but there's no need to wait for it, just
> don't take the same number for working on DMG.
Okay, thanks.