rcu.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@kernel.org>
To: William Tambe <tambewilliam@gmail.com>
Cc: rcu@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: delayed_put_task_struct() used through call_rcu() by put_task_struct_rcu_user() never gets called
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 08:35:38 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 09:22:54AM -0500, William Tambe wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 10:46 PM Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@kernel.org> wrote:

> > Any status on this?
>
> It does not return there and __call_rcu_core() continues executing.

Thank you, and presumably the next "if" does not trigger, at least not
unless that CPU has more than 10,000 callbacks queued (given the usual
default settings).

I am also assuming that callbacks are -not- offloaded because I did
not see CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPUS=y

Until that 10,000th callback is queued, RCU is relying on either a return
to idle or a scheduling-clock interrupt.  In the idle case:

o	If CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=y, RCU will ask for a four-jiffies timer
	out of idle.  It will also periodically assign grace periods to
	new callbacks.  The question in this case is "What is preventing
	the call out of idle?"  I didn't see this in your defconfig, so
	I am assuming this is -not- your system is set up.

o	If CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=n, RCU will ask that the scheduling-clock
	interrupt be left enabled, despite the return to idle.	This puts
	us into the next case, the scheduling-clock interrupt.

	You should be able to check this by looking at the return value
	from the rcu_needs_cpu() function on this CPU, which should be
	non-zero given that you have a callback queued on the current CPU.
	(It is just fine for other CPUs without callbacks to return zero,
	by the way.)

A scheduling-clock interrupt invokes rcu_sched_clock_irq(), which
invokes rcu_pending(), which on a CPU with newly queued callbacks
should return non-zero via this path or some earlier one:

	/* Has RCU gone idle with this CPU needing another grace period? */
	if (!gp_in_progress && rcu_segcblist_is_enabled(&rdp->cblist) &&
	    (!IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU) ||
	     !rcu_segcblist_is_offloaded(&rdp->cblist)) &&
	    !rcu_segcblist_restempty(&rdp->cblist, RCU_NEXT_READY_TAIL))
		return 1;

If the CPU is not getting scheduling-clock interrupts (as in no calls to
update_process_times() and thus no calls to rcu_sched_clock_irq()), then
that is a bug that you need to fix.  Note that different CPU architectures
invoke update_process_times() in different ways from different places.
And even the generic support invokes update_process_times() from either
tick_periodic() or tick_sched_handle(), depending on configuration.

Then you will need to work out what is happening instead, given the
expectations for whatever CPU architecture and configuration you are
using.

							Thanx, Paul