rcu.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: donghai qiao <donghai.w.qiao@gmail.com>
To: paulmck@kernel.org
Cc: Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@gmail.com>,
	rcu@vger.kernel.org, netdev@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RCU: rcu stall issues and an approach to the fix
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:18:40 -0400	[thread overview]

I just want to follow up this discussion. First off, the latest issue
I mentioned in the email of Oct 4th which
exhibited a symptom of networking appeared to be a problem in
qrwlock.c. Particularly the problem is
caused by the 'if' statement in the function queued_read_lock_slowpath() below :

void queued_read_lock_slowpath(struct qrwlock *lock)
{
        /*
         * Readers come here when they cannot get the lock without waiting
         */
        if (unlikely(in_interrupt())) {
                /*
                 * Readers in interrupt context will get the lock immediately
                 * if the writer is just waiting (not holding the lock yet),
                 * so spin with ACQUIRE semantics until the lock is available
                 * without waiting in the queue.
                 */
                atomic_cond_read_acquire(&lock->cnts, !(VAL & _QW_LOCKED));
                return;
        }
}

That 'if' statement said, if we are in an interrupt context and we are
a reader, then
we will be allowed to enter the lock as a reader no matter if there
are writers waiting
for it or not. So, in the circumstance when the network packets steadily come in
and the intervals are relatively small enough, then the writers will
have no chance to
acquire the lock. This should be the root cause for that case.

I have verified it by removing the 'if' and rerun the test multiple
times. The same
symptom hasn't been reproduced.  As far as rcu stall is concerned as a
broader range
of problems,  this is absolutely not the only root cause I have seen.
Actually too many
things can delay context switching.  Do you have a long term plan to
fix this issue,
or just want to treat it case by case?

Secondly, back to the following code I brought up that day. Actually
it is not as simple
as spinlock.

      rcu_read_lock();
      ip_protocol_deliver_rcu(net, skb, ip_hdr(skb)->protocol);
      rcu_read_unlock();

Are you all aware of all the potential functions that
ip_protocol_deliver_rcu will call?
As I can see, there is a code path from ip_protocol_deliver_rcu to
kmem_cache_alloc
which will end up a call to cond_resched().  Because the operations in memory
allocation are too complicated, we cannot alway expect a prompt return
with success.
When the system is running out of memory, then rcu cannot close the
current gp, then
great number of callbacks will be delayed and the freeing of the
memory they held
will be delayed as well. This sounds like a deadlock in the resource flow.

Thanks
Donghai