Linux kernel regressions
* Kernel 5.12.9 and 5.12.10: complete system freeze after bootup
@ 2021-06-13 16:01 Adel Kara Slimane
From: Adel Kara Slimane @ 2021-06-13 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: regressions

Hello,

I am encountering an issue where my system freezes entirely after a random but short time after boot-up: the computer does not react to any user input, be it mouse, keyboard or plugging-unplugging peripherals. The image on screen remains still and does not go black. Any sound that was playing at the moment of the freeze loops indefinitely with a period of around 1s. I have the intuition that the issue is sound related because of that.
Some additional information with this issue
Only happens only with the latest stable releases of the kernel: 5.12.9 and 5.12.10 . 5.12.8 does not have this issue. I have not tested other kernel version, e.g. LTS 5.10 , to see if it's a change that got back-ported.

Happens with official kernel binary releases provided by Gentoo and Archlinux. But also self built, with Archlinux's upstream .config file and derived stripped ones (please find an example .config attached as config-stripped)

The output of journalctl stops before the freeze happens, I suppose it's because nothing can be saved in the disk when it happens. Please find the output of journalctl for a boot where the freeze happens attached to this mail as journaloutput . This should give all the necessary information about my system. I just realized that I have extra boot kernel parameters, maybe removing the extra ones works around the issue and would help pinpoint the issue. I will report back if I have any extra information

Given the above comments I believe this issue is best reported to you. I unfortunately do not have more information to report as of now but I am willing to work more towards pinpointing the problem from your directed feedback. My kernel knowledge is limited but I can probably deal with technical requests from you given enough time and documentation.

Thank you for your help,
Kind regards,
Adel KARA SLIMANE