Hello, > So I am also guessing that 5.13-rc6 fails in this same way? I took the time to compile and test the 5.13-rc6 version: it has the same issue (complete freeze with sound looping forever until I manually switch off the computer with the hardware button on the case). Please find attached the kernel journal for that specific boot, called `journaloutput-513r6` > And you do have this specific hardware, for this specific patch, right? Yes, I have a Realtek ALC1220 codec in my motherboard, currently on 5.12.8, I have the following modules running: $ lsmod | grep snd snd_usb_audio 331776 2 snd_usbmidi_lib 45056 1 snd_usb_audio snd_rawmidi 40960 1 snd_usbmidi_lib snd_hda_codec_realtek 159744 1 snd_hda_codec_generic 94208 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek ledtrig_audio 16384 1 snd_hda_codec_generic snd_hda_codec_hdmi 73728 1 snd_hda_intel 57344 4 snd_intel_dspcfg 20480 1 snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec 163840 4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hwdep 16384 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec snd_hda_core 106496 5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_pcm 114688 5 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_core snd_timer 40960 1 snd_pcm snd I found it intriguing that I am the first person to report this issue, maybe because of my specific hardware interaction and use-case, some additional information: - I use the line-out rear port of my motherboard to connect to a home-cinema through a 3.5mm jack cable. To trigger the issue, I am playing the same video on MPV (a video player) with sound output to the home-cinema (therefore using the realtek soundcard). The freeze usually gets triggered at a random time within the 20mins the video takes. The freeze does happen without using MPV though, sometimes system sounds (like pressing backspace on an empty field) trigger it too. - Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI, BIOS 7B93v1C, with AMD ComboAM4PIV2 1.2.0.2. More information in ref [1] - External USB sound card running at the same time: SteelSeries GameDAC [2] (I decide to redirect sound output in a per-app basis with pulseaudio and pavucontrol) - My GPU supports audio through HDMI but my monitor is connected through DP and does not have speakers. - CPU: Ryzen 5950X - GPU: 5700XT I am wondering how can ALSA affect the kernel up to the point that it can't write things to the journal. Is it something worse than a "kernel panic" (that I have never encountered before) ? > Thanks for testing! I am really happy to finally be able to contribute! Thank you for sparing some time for this issue. Please feel free to ask anything so we can progress further on the issue, I will be awaiting instructions. Kind regards, Adel K.S. [1] https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI/Specification [2] https://steelseries.com/gaming-accessories/gamedac