regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Daniel Harding <dharding@living180.net>
To: Pavel Begunkov <asml.silence@gmail.com>
Cc: regressions@lists.linux.dev, io-uring@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>,
	Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] lxc-stop hang on 5.17.x kernels
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:57:05 +0300	[thread overview]

On 5/16/22 16:25, Pavel Begunkov wrote:
> On 5/16/22 13:12, Pavel Begunkov wrote:

>>> No, there hasn't been any discussion since the email you replied to.
>>> I've done a bit more testing on my end, but without anything
>>> conclusive.  The one thing I can say is that my testing shows that
>>> LXC does correctly handle multi-shot poll requests which were being
>>> downgraded to one-shot in 5.16.x kernels, which I think invalidates
>>> Pavel's theory.  In 5.17.x kernels, those same poll requests are no
>>> longer being downgraded to one-shot requests, and thus under 5.17.x
>>> LXC is no longer re-arming those poll requests (but also shouldn't
>>> need to, according to what is being returned by the kernel). I don't
>>> know if this change in kernel behavior is related to the hang, or if
>>> it is just a side effect of other io-uring changes that made it into
>>> 5.17.  Nothing in the LXC's usage of io-uring seems obviously
>>> incorrect to me, but I am far from an expert.  I also did some work
>>> toward creating a simpler reproducer, without success (I was able to
>>> get a simple program using io-uring running, but never could get it
>>> to hang).  ISTM that this is still a kernel regression, unless
>>> someone can point out a definite fault in the way LXC is using
>>> io-uring.
>>
>> Haven't had time to debug it. Apparently LXC is stuck on
>> read(2) terminal fd. Not yet clear what is the reason.
>
> How it was with oneshots:
>
> 1: kernel: poll fires, add a CQE
> 2: kernel: remove poll
> 3: userspace: get CQE
> 4: userspace: read(terminal_fd);
> 5: userspace: add new poll
> 6: goto 1)
>
> What might happen and actually happens with multishot:
>
> 1: kernel: poll fires, add CQE1
> 2: kernel: poll fires again, add CQE2
> 3: userspace: get CQE1
> 4: userspace: read(terminal_fd); // reads all data, for both CQE1 and
> CQE2
> 5: userspace: get CQE2
> 6: userspace: read(terminal_fd); // nothing to read, hangs here
>
> It should be the read in lxc_terminal_ptx_io().
>
> IMHO, it's not a regression but a not perfect feature API and/or
> an API misuse.
>
> Cc: Christian Brauner
>
> Christian, in case you may have some input on the LXC side of things.
> Daniel reported an LXC problem when it uses io_uring multishot poll
> requests.
> Before aa43477b04025 ("io_uring: poll rework"), multishot poll
> requests for
> tty/pty and some other files were always downgraded to oneshots, which
> had
> been fixed by the commit and exposed the problem. I hope the example
> above
> explains it, but please let me know if it needs more details

Pavel, I had actually just started a draft email with the same theory
(although you stated it much more clearly than I could have).  I'm
working on debugging the LXC side, but I'm pretty sure the issue is due
to LXC using blocking reads and getting stuck exactly as you describe.
If I can confirm this, I'll go ahead and mark this regression as invalid
and file an issue with LXC.  Thanks for your help and patience.

Daniel Harding