Linux kernel regressions
 help / color / Atom feed
* [next] [arm64] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000068
@ 2021-06-15 11:19 Naresh Kamboju
  2021-06-15 11:26 ` Naresh Kamboju
  2021-06-15 23:26 ` Andrew Morton
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Naresh Kamboju @ 2021-06-15 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Next Mailing List, linux-mm, Linux ARM, open list,
	Will Deacon, lkft-triage, regressions
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann, Ard Biesheuvel,
	Catalin Marinas, Mike Rapoport, Christophe Leroy

Following kernel crash reported while booting linux next 20210615 tag
on qemu_arm64.

Crash log:
-------------
[    0.767379] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
virtual address 0000000000000068
[    0.769815] Mem abort info:
[    0.770735]   ESR = 0x96000004
[    0.771598]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
[    0.773008]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
[    0.773865]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
[    0.774844]   FSC = 0x04: level 0 translation fault
[    0.776195] Data abort info:
[    0.776968]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000004
[    0.778010]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
[    0.778961] [0000000000000068] user address but active_mm is swapper
[    0.780643] Internal error: Oops: 96000004 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
[    0.782189] Modules linked in:
[    0.783098] CPU: 2 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted
5.13.0-rc6-next-20210615 #1
[    0.785239] Hardware name: linux,dummy-virt (DT)
[    0.786626] pstate: 00000005 (nzcv daif -PAN -UAO -TCO BTYPE=--)
[    0.788352] pc : blk_finish_plug+0x88/0x270
[    0.789598] lr : blk_queue_write_cache+0x34/0x80
[    0.790997] sp : ffff800012aeb9d0
[    0.791981] x29: ffff800012aeb9d0 x28: ffff0000c088eeb0 x27: ffff800011a27110
[    0.794067] x26: ffff0000c18511a0 x25: ffff8000114ecaa8 x24: 0000000005a00000
[    0.796127] x23: ffff8000114ed3c8 x22: 0000000000000000 x21: ffff0000c088fa00
[    0.798208] x20: 0000000000000000 x19: 0000000000000000 x18: 0000000000000001
[    0.800239] x17: 7265727574636166 x16: 756e614d202e6b6e x15: ffff0000c0290488
[    0.802308] x14: ffffffffffffffff x13: ffff0000c088fa2c x12: ffff0000c088fa14
[    0.804341] x11: 0000000000000026 x10: 0000000000000401 x9 : ffff80001058247c
[    0.806408] x8 : ffff0000c088fa2c x7 : 0000000000000008 x6 : 0000000000000001
[    0.808429] x5 : ffff80001258a000 x4 : ffff80001258a260 x3 : 0000000000000068
[    0.810492] x2 : 0000000000000001 x1 : 0000000000000068 x0 : 0000000000020000
[    0.813153] Call trace:
[    0.813878]  blk_finish_plug+0x88/0x270
[    0.815064]  add_mtd_blktrans_dev+0x258/0x3f0
[    0.816316]  mtdblock_add_mtd+0x6c/0xb8
[    0.817428]  blktrans_notify_add+0x50/0x78
[    0.818666]  add_mtd_device+0x304/0x4d8
[    0.819790]  mtd_device_parse_register+0x1d8/0x2f0
[    0.821150]  physmap_flash_probe+0x4c8/0x7a8
[    0.822431]  platform_probe+0x70/0xe0
[    0.823494]  really_probe+0xf0/0x4d0
[    0.824539]  driver_probe_device+0x108/0x178
[    0.825760]  device_driver_attach+0x7c/0x88
[    0.827039]  __driver_attach+0xb8/0x190
[    0.828142]  bus_for_each_dev+0x78/0xd0
[    0.829254]  driver_attach+0x2c/0x38
[    0.830381]  bus_add_driver+0x14c/0x230
[    0.831502]  driver_register+0x6c/0x128
[    0.832604]  __platform_driver_register+0x30/0x40
[    0.833952]  physmap_init+0x24/0x30
[    0.835011]  do_one_initcall+0x50/0x2c8
[    0.836116]  kernel_init_freeable+0x25c/0x2e4
[    0.837366]  kernel_init+0x2c/0x138
[    0.838403]  ret_from_fork+0x10/0x18
[    0.839453] Code: c8037c22 35ffffa3 17fff238 f9800031 (c85f7c22)
[    0.841176] ---[ end trace 66ee8a40712bfd28 ]---
[    0.842563] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x0000000b
[    0.844577] SMP: stopping secondary CPUs
[    0.845707] Kernel Offset: disabled
[    0.846731] CPU features: 0x10000071,00000846
[    0.847969] Memory Limit: none
[    0.848853] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill
init! exitcode=0x0000000b ]---

Reported-by: Naresh Kamboju <naresh.kamboju@linaro.org>

ref:
https://lkft.validation.linaro.org/scheduler/job/2901452#L556

metadata:
  git branch: master
  git repo: https://gitlab.com/Linaro/lkft/mirrors/next/linux-next
  git describe: next-20210615
  kernel-config: https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1tyksDCCPiTvc0x6psxC3JvSWqJ/config

build link:
    https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1tyksDCCPiTvc0x6psxC3JvSWqJ/

Steps to reproduce:
--------------------------
# TuxMake is a command line tool and Python library that provides
# portable and repeatable Linux kernel builds across a variety of
# architectures, toolchains, kernel configurations, and make targets.
#
# TuxMake supports the concept of runtimes.
# See https://docs.tuxmake.org/runtimes/, for that to work it requires
# that you install podman or docker on your system.
#
# To install tuxmake on your system globally:
# sudo pip3 install -U tuxmake
#
# See https://docs.tuxmake.org/ for complete documentation.


tuxmake --runtime podman --target-arch arm64 --toolchain gcc-9
--kconfig defconfig --kconfig-add
https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1tyksDCCPiTvc0x6psxC3JvSWqJ/config

--
Linaro LKFT
https://lkft.linaro.org

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [next] [arm64] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000068
  2021-06-15 11:19 [next] [arm64] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000068 Naresh Kamboju
@ 2021-06-15 11:26 ` Naresh Kamboju
  2021-06-15 23:26 ` Andrew Morton
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Naresh Kamboju @ 2021-06-15 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Next Mailing List, linux-mm, Linux ARM, open list,
	Will Deacon, lkft-triage, regressions
  Cc: Andrew Morton, Stephen Rothwell, Arnd Bergmann, Ard Biesheuvel,
	Catalin Marinas, Mike Rapoport, Christophe Leroy

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 16:49, Naresh Kamboju <naresh.kamboju@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> Following kernel crash reported while booting linux next 20210615 tag
> on qemu_arm64.

Similar crash reported while booting Linux next 20210615 tag kernel on
the qemu arm.

https://lkft.validation.linaro.org/scheduler/job/2901326#L441

>
> Crash log:
> -------------
> [    0.767379] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
> virtual address 0000000000000068
> [    0.769815] Mem abort info:
> [    0.770735]   ESR = 0x96000004
> [    0.771598]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
> [    0.773008]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
> [    0.773865]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
> [    0.774844]   FSC = 0x04: level 0 translation fault
> [    0.776195] Data abort info:
> [    0.776968]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000004
> [    0.778010]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
> [    0.778961] [0000000000000068] user address but active_mm is swapper
> [    0.780643] Internal error: Oops: 96000004 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
> [    0.782189] Modules linked in:
> [    0.783098] CPU: 2 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted
> 5.13.0-rc6-next-20210615 #1
> [    0.785239] Hardware name: linux,dummy-virt (DT)
> [    0.786626] pstate: 00000005 (nzcv daif -PAN -UAO -TCO BTYPE=--)
> [    0.788352] pc : blk_finish_plug+0x88/0x270
> [    0.789598] lr : blk_queue_write_cache+0x34/0x80
d.com/1tyksDCCPiTvc0x6psxC3JvSWqJ/config

- Naresh

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [next] [arm64] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000068
  2021-06-15 11:19 [next] [arm64] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000068 Naresh Kamboju
  2021-06-15 11:26 ` Naresh Kamboju
@ 2021-06-15 23:26 ` Andrew Morton
  2021-06-16 12:55   ` Jens Axboe
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Andrew Morton @ 2021-06-15 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Kamboju
  Cc: Linux-Next Mailing List, linux-mm, Linux ARM, open list,
	Will Deacon, lkft-triage, regressions, Stephen Rothwell,
	Arnd Bergmann, Ard Biesheuvel, Catalin Marinas, Mike Rapoport,
	Christophe Leroy, Jens Axboe

(cc Jens)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:49:50 +0530 Naresh Kamboju <naresh.kamboju@linaro.org> wrote:

> Following kernel crash reported while booting linux next 20210615 tag
> on qemu_arm64.
> 
> Crash log:
> -------------
> [    0.767379] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
> virtual address 0000000000000068
> [    0.769815] Mem abort info:
> [    0.770735]   ESR = 0x96000004
> [    0.771598]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
> [    0.773008]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
> [    0.773865]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
> [    0.774844]   FSC = 0x04: level 0 translation fault
> [    0.776195] Data abort info:
> [    0.776968]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000004
> [    0.778010]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
> [    0.778961] [0000000000000068] user address but active_mm is swapper
> [    0.780643] Internal error: Oops: 96000004 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
> [    0.782189] Modules linked in:
> [    0.783098] CPU: 2 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted
> 5.13.0-rc6-next-20210615 #1
> [    0.785239] Hardware name: linux,dummy-virt (DT)
> [    0.786626] pstate: 00000005 (nzcv daif -PAN -UAO -TCO BTYPE=--)
> [    0.788352] pc : blk_finish_plug+0x88/0x270
> [    0.789598] lr : blk_queue_write_cache+0x34/0x80
> [    0.790997] sp : ffff800012aeb9d0
> [    0.791981] x29: ffff800012aeb9d0 x28: ffff0000c088eeb0 x27: ffff800011a27110
> [    0.794067] x26: ffff0000c18511a0 x25: ffff8000114ecaa8 x24: 0000000005a00000
> [    0.796127] x23: ffff8000114ed3c8 x22: 0000000000000000 x21: ffff0000c088fa00
> [    0.798208] x20: 0000000000000000 x19: 0000000000000000 x18: 0000000000000001
> [    0.800239] x17: 7265727574636166 x16: 756e614d202e6b6e x15: ffff0000c0290488
> [    0.802308] x14: ffffffffffffffff x13: ffff0000c088fa2c x12: ffff0000c088fa14
> [    0.804341] x11: 0000000000000026 x10: 0000000000000401 x9 : ffff80001058247c
> [    0.806408] x8 : ffff0000c088fa2c x7 : 0000000000000008 x6 : 0000000000000001
> [    0.808429] x5 : ffff80001258a000 x4 : ffff80001258a260 x3 : 0000000000000068
> [    0.810492] x2 : 0000000000000001 x1 : 0000000000000068 x0 : 0000000000020000
> [    0.813153] Call trace:
> [    0.813878]  blk_finish_plug+0x88/0x270
> [    0.815064]  add_mtd_blktrans_dev+0x258/0x3f0
> [    0.816316]  mtdblock_add_mtd+0x6c/0xb8
> [    0.817428]  blktrans_notify_add+0x50/0x78
> [    0.818666]  add_mtd_device+0x304/0x4d8
> [    0.819790]  mtd_device_parse_register+0x1d8/0x2f0
> [    0.821150]  physmap_flash_probe+0x4c8/0x7a8
> [    0.822431]  platform_probe+0x70/0xe0
> [    0.823494]  really_probe+0xf0/0x4d0
> [    0.824539]  driver_probe_device+0x108/0x178
> [    0.825760]  device_driver_attach+0x7c/0x88
> [    0.827039]  __driver_attach+0xb8/0x190
> [    0.828142]  bus_for_each_dev+0x78/0xd0
> [    0.829254]  driver_attach+0x2c/0x38
> [    0.830381]  bus_add_driver+0x14c/0x230
> [    0.831502]  driver_register+0x6c/0x128
> [    0.832604]  __platform_driver_register+0x30/0x40
> [    0.833952]  physmap_init+0x24/0x30
> [    0.835011]  do_one_initcall+0x50/0x2c8
> [    0.836116]  kernel_init_freeable+0x25c/0x2e4
> [    0.837366]  kernel_init+0x2c/0x138
> [    0.838403]  ret_from_fork+0x10/0x18
> [    0.839453] Code: c8037c22 35ffffa3 17fff238 f9800031 (c85f7c22)
> [    0.841176] ---[ end trace 66ee8a40712bfd28 ]---
> [    0.842563] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> exitcode=0x0000000b
> [    0.844577] SMP: stopping secondary CPUs
> [    0.845707] Kernel Offset: disabled
> [    0.846731] CPU features: 0x10000071,00000846
> [    0.847969] Memory Limit: none
> [    0.848853] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill
> init! exitcode=0x0000000b ]---
> 
> Reported-by: Naresh Kamboju <naresh.kamboju@linaro.org>
> 
> ref:
> https://lkft.validation.linaro.org/scheduler/job/2901452#L556
> 
> metadata:
>   git branch: master
>   git repo: https://gitlab.com/Linaro/lkft/mirrors/next/linux-next
>   git describe: next-20210615
>   kernel-config: https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1tyksDCCPiTvc0x6psxC3JvSWqJ/config
> 
> build link:
>     https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1tyksDCCPiTvc0x6psxC3JvSWqJ/
> 
> Steps to reproduce:
> --------------------------
> # TuxMake is a command line tool and Python library that provides
> # portable and repeatable Linux kernel builds across a variety of
> # architectures, toolchains, kernel configurations, and make targets.
> #
> # TuxMake supports the concept of runtimes.
> # See https://docs.tuxmake.org/runtimes/, for that to work it requires
> # that you install podman or docker on your system.
> #
> # To install tuxmake on your system globally:
> # sudo pip3 install -U tuxmake
> #
> # See https://docs.tuxmake.org/ for complete documentation.
> 
> 
> tuxmake --runtime podman --target-arch arm64 --toolchain gcc-9
> --kconfig defconfig --kconfig-add
> https://builds.tuxbuild.com/1tyksDCCPiTvc0x6psxC3JvSWqJ/config
> 
> --
> Linaro LKFT
> https://lkft.linaro.org

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [next] [arm64] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000068
  2021-06-15 23:26 ` Andrew Morton
@ 2021-06-16 12:55   ` Jens Axboe
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Jens Axboe @ 2021-06-16 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton, Naresh Kamboju
  Cc: Linux-Next Mailing List, linux-mm, Linux ARM, open list,
	Will Deacon, lkft-triage, regressions, Stephen Rothwell,
	Arnd Bergmann, Ard Biesheuvel, Catalin Marinas, Mike Rapoport,
	Christophe Leroy

On 6/15/21 5:26 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:
> (cc Jens)
> 
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 16:49:50 +0530 Naresh Kamboju <naresh.kamboju@linaro.org> wrote:
> 
>> Following kernel crash reported while booting linux next 20210615 tag
>> on qemu_arm64.
>>
>> Crash log:
>> -------------
>> [    0.767379] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
>> virtual address 0000000000000068
>> [    0.769815] Mem abort info:
>> [    0.770735]   ESR = 0x96000004
>> [    0.771598]   EC = 0x25: DABT (current EL), IL = 32 bits
>> [    0.773008]   SET = 0, FnV = 0
>> [    0.773865]   EA = 0, S1PTW = 0
>> [    0.774844]   FSC = 0x04: level 0 translation fault
>> [    0.776195] Data abort info:
>> [    0.776968]   ISV = 0, ISS = 0x00000004
>> [    0.778010]   CM = 0, WnR = 0
>> [    0.778961] [0000000000000068] user address but active_mm is swapper
>> [    0.780643] Internal error: Oops: 96000004 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
>> [    0.782189] Modules linked in:
>> [    0.783098] CPU: 2 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted
>> 5.13.0-rc6-next-20210615 #1
>> [    0.785239] Hardware name: linux,dummy-virt (DT)
>> [    0.786626] pstate: 00000005 (nzcv daif -PAN -UAO -TCO BTYPE=--)
>> [    0.788352] pc : blk_finish_plug+0x88/0x270
>> [    0.789598] lr : blk_queue_write_cache+0x34/0x80
>> [    0.790997] sp : ffff800012aeb9d0
>> [    0.791981] x29: ffff800012aeb9d0 x28: ffff0000c088eeb0 x27: ffff800011a27110
>> [    0.794067] x26: ffff0000c18511a0 x25: ffff8000114ecaa8 x24: 0000000005a00000
>> [    0.796127] x23: ffff8000114ed3c8 x22: 0000000000000000 x21: ffff0000c088fa00
>> [    0.798208] x20: 0000000000000000 x19: 0000000000000000 x18: 0000000000000001
>> [    0.800239] x17: 7265727574636166 x16: 756e614d202e6b6e x15: ffff0000c0290488
>> [    0.802308] x14: ffffffffffffffff x13: ffff0000c088fa2c x12: ffff0000c088fa14
>> [    0.804341] x11: 0000000000000026 x10: 0000000000000401 x9 : ffff80001058247c
>> [    0.806408] x8 : ffff0000c088fa2c x7 : 0000000000000008 x6 : 0000000000000001
>> [    0.808429] x5 : ffff80001258a000 x4 : ffff80001258a260 x3 : 0000000000000068
>> [    0.810492] x2 : 0000000000000001 x1 : 0000000000000068 x0 : 0000000000020000
>> [    0.813153] Call trace:
>> [    0.813878]  blk_finish_plug+0x88/0x270
>> [    0.815064]  add_mtd_blktrans_dev+0x258/0x3f0
>> [    0.816316]  mtdblock_add_mtd+0x6c/0xb8
>> [    0.817428]  blktrans_notify_add+0x50/0x78
>> [    0.818666]  add_mtd_device+0x304/0x4d8
>> [    0.819790]  mtd_device_parse_register+0x1d8/0x2f0
>> [    0.821150]  physmap_flash_probe+0x4c8/0x7a8
>> [    0.822431]  platform_probe+0x70/0xe0
>> [    0.823494]  really_probe+0xf0/0x4d0
>> [    0.824539]  driver_probe_device+0x108/0x178
>> [    0.825760]  device_driver_attach+0x7c/0x88
>> [    0.827039]  __driver_attach+0xb8/0x190
>> [    0.828142]  bus_for_each_dev+0x78/0xd0
>> [    0.829254]  driver_attach+0x2c/0x38
>> [    0.830381]  bus_add_driver+0x14c/0x230
>> [    0.831502]  driver_register+0x6c/0x128
>> [    0.832604]  __platform_driver_register+0x30/0x40
>> [    0.833952]  physmap_init+0x24/0x30
>> [    0.835011]  do_one_initcall+0x50/0x2c8
>> [    0.836116]  kernel_init_freeable+0x25c/0x2e4
>> [    0.837366]  kernel_init+0x2c/0x138
>> [    0.838403]  ret_from_fork+0x10/0x18
>> [    0.839453] Code: c8037c22 35ffffa3 17fff238 f9800031 (c85f7c22)
>> [    0.841176] ---[ end trace 66ee8a40712bfd28 ]---
>> [    0.842563] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>> exitcode=0x0000000b
>> [    0.844577] SMP: stopping secondary CPUs
>> [    0.845707] Kernel Offset: disabled
>> [    0.846731] CPU features: 0x10000071,00000846
>> [    0.847969] Memory Limit: none
>> [    0.848853] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill
>> init! exitcode=0x0000000b ]---

Should be fixed once linux-next resyncs with the block tree.

-- 
Jens Axboe


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-06-15 11:19 [next] [arm64] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000068 Naresh Kamboju
2021-06-15 11:26 ` Naresh Kamboju
2021-06-15 23:26 ` Andrew Morton
2021-06-16 12:55   ` Jens Axboe

Linux kernel regressions

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/regressions/0 regressions/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 regressions regressions/ https://lore.kernel.org/regressions \
		regressions@lists.linux.dev
	public-inbox-index regressions

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/dev.linux.lists.regressions


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git