regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>
To: u34@net9.ga, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
Cc: alsa-devel@alsa-project.org,
	"regressions@lists.linux.dev" <regressions@lists.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: Is it a regression? 5.15.5: No sound with speaker-test. 5.12.13: it works.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 12:31:34 +0100	[thread overview]

On 08.12.21 13:29, u34@net9.ga wrote:
> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:03:05 +0100,
>> u34@net9.ga wrote:
>>>
>>> The following looks to me a regression in the linux sound driver.
>>> alsa-info.sh output is included at the bottom of this message. There are 2
>>> outputs. An output with a 5.12.13 kernel. The other output is with a
>>> 5.15.5. They were obtained with the same PC. With 5.12.13, the
>>> speaker-test program works as expected. There is no sound when the
>>> speaker-test program is ran with 5.15.5.
>>> 5.15.5 has
>>>     options snd-hda-intel id=PCH index=0
>>>     options snd-hda-intel id=HDMI index=1
>>> , which 5.12.13 does not have.
>>
>> Both those lines conflict with each other, so they make no sense and
>> are already incorrect.
>>
>> If you want to swap the card indices inevitably needed, just pass a
>> single option line below instead.
>>
>>   options snd-hda-intel index=1,0
>
> I have modified my setting as you suggested.
>
> speaker-test is now producing sound with both 5.12.13, and 5.15.5. Which is
> actualy 5.15.6, not 5.15.5, by now. It got upgraded a few days ago. I don't
> know what is the exact change that made it working. I have done several
> other chnages in the last couple of days.
> [...]

Sounds to me like "there might still be a small problem lurking there,
but things are working now for the reporter and maybe the problem was
caused by something else anyway", so I guess I'll remove in from the
regression tracking.

#regzbot invalid: things are working again, what exactly helped remains
unkown
#regzbot ignore-activity

Ciao, Thorsten (wearing his 'Linux kernel regression tracker' hat).

P.S.: As a Linux kernel regression tracker I'm getting a lot of reports
on my table. I can only look briefly into most of them. Unfortunately
therefore I sometimes will get things wrong or miss something important.
I hope that's not the case here; if you think it is, don't hesitate to
tell me about it in a public reply. That's in everyone's interest, as
what I wrote above might be misleading to everyone reading this; any
suggestion I gave thus might sent someone reading this down the wrong
rabbit hole, which none of us wants.

BTW, I have no personal interest in this issue, which is tracked using
regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot
(https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/regzbot/). I'm only posting
this mail to get things rolling again and hence don't need to be CC on
all further activities wrt to this regression.