regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: "Linux regression tracking #update (Thorsten Leemhuis)" <regressions@leemhuis.info>
To: "Thomas Weißschuh" <linux@weissschuh.net>, regressions@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: Bug with /dev/vcs* devices
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 05:29:01 +0100	[thread overview]

[TLDR: This mail in primarily relevant for Linux kernel regression
tracking. See link in footer if these mails annoy you.]

On 24.02.23 15:25, Thomas Weißschuh wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 04:21:46PM -0500, Storm Dragon wrote:
>>
>> This is my first time ever submitting a kernel bug, so I apologize if this is the wrong place. As per the instructions I found, I first filed a bug in Arch Linux:
>>
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/77575
>>
>> I will add the contents of the response here:
>>
>> For the record, here are the 2 associated mailing list threads [1][2].
>> The reason why it affects both LTS and current linux is because it appears a security patch was applied to both trees to fix a UAF (use after free) bug.
>> If that patch is problematic, you should report it upstream to the kernel folks. Maybe even email the patch author directly. It's this patch [3]. Please let us
>> know what you find out.
>> [1] https://lists.archlinux.org/archives/list/arch-general%40lists.archlinux.org/thread/EOSHIVGUZLNAD7BPHSUGOXFYSAFWDYH7/
>> [2] https://lists.archlinux.org/archives/list/arch-general%40lists.archlinux.org/thread/S6R6UDUMX2LWL4HJ74MFNYOES45UBFLF/
>> [3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/drivers/tty/vt/vc_screen.c?h=v5.15.94&id=fc9e27f3ba083534b8bbf72ab0f5c810ffdc7d18
>>
>> ----------End Response ----------
>>
>> Methods for reproducing the bug are included in the link to the bug above. But I will include one of them here as well. As root:
>>
>> [root@mjollnir ~]# cat /dev/vcsa1
>>    cat: /dev/vcsa1: No such device or address
>>
>> The contents is displayed very briefly before the No such device or address error.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Storm
>
> #regzbot title: vc_screen: unexpected ENXIO on read
> #regzbot introduced: 226fae124b2dac217ea5436060d623ff3385bc34 ^

#regzbot fix: ae3419fbac84

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.

#regzbot ignore-activity