regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@ubuntu.com>
Cc: Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>,
	regressions@lists.linux.dev,
	 Andrea Righi <andrea.righi@canonical.com>
Subject: Re: Regression when writing to /proc/<pid>/attr/
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 09:39:03 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 4:59 AM Christian Brauner
<christian.brauner@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hm, but doesn't the mm check have the same problem? It's not checking
> the mm of the opener against the mm of the writer. To stay with the
> example in this thread, it's checking the mm of the <attached process>
> at open time against the mm of the <attached process> at write time if I
> read this correctly.

Yes and no. It is checking that the mm of the target still matches,
but what you don't see in the patch (because it was pre-existing) is
that it also checks that the target is "current".

So it does effectively check that current hasn't execve'd. So ack on
the patch from me.

Of course, we could _also_ allow a cross-execve() write if the creds
remain the same, but I think this "hasn't execve'd" is the better
check (and was what the original cred check patch basically aimed to
do anyway).

           Linus