regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
To: Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	"regressions@lists.linux.dev" <regressions@lists.linux.dev>
Subject: Re: Thorsten is tracking regression again and could need a little help (was: Re: Linux 5.15)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 16:27:36 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Nov 01, 2021 at 02:34:21PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 01.11.21 14:03, Greg KH wrote:

> >> That will be a great help, many thx.

> >> Redirecting will make it a little easier for me, but a simple forward is
> >> fine, too.
> >
> > Ok, I did that now for a USB bug report, hopefully that worked.  If not,
> > I can forward it on.
>
> Got it, but I could need some advice on it if you have a minute.
>
> Does that report really look like a regression from your point of view?
> The part "The code has been this way in the kernel for a very long time,
> which suggests that it has been working, [...]" sounds like it is, but
> OTOH it's quite vague.

Later in the thread it was determined that this is a regression that
showed up in the 3.4 kernel release and the commit id was referenced.

> I'm asking, because with my regression tracking work and regzbot I focus
> on regressions and ignore things that were always broken, as I (at least
> for now) don't want it to become yet another bug tracker (and I guess I
> would quickly drown in bugs as well).

I agree, this shouldn't be a bug tracker, sorry, I shouldn't have
started this with a report of a really old issue, but it's all I found
at short notice :)

I've found another report of a regression that is newer for USB and
bounced it to you as well.  Hopefully that is a bit easier to track.

thanks,

greg k-h