regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Philip Li <philip.li@intel.com>
To: Thorsten Leemhuis <regressions@leemhuis.info>
Cc: "Si, Beibei" <Beibei.Si@intel.com>,
	"regressions@lists.linux.dev" <regressions@lists.linux.dev>,
	"Sang, Oliver" <oliver.sang@intel.com>, <lkp@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [loop] efcfec579f: mdadm-selftests.12imsm-r0_2d-grow-r0_3d.fail #forregzbot
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:31:51 +0800	[thread overview]

On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 01:23:55PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> TWIMC for those that might not be aware of it: there is a parallel
> discussion about the interaction about 0day and regzbot ongoing here:
> https://lore.kernel.org/regressions/57c596f7-014f-1833-3173-af3bad2ca45d@leemhuis.info/
>
> On 01.09.22 15:53, Philip Li wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 09:19:30PM +0800, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> On 10.08.22 07:44, Si, Beibei wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Would be really really great if these mails could also directly tell
> >> users to add links tags that point to the report, e.g. in this case the
> >> mail from Oliver that started this thread:
> >>
> >> ```
> >>  If you fix the issue, kindly add following tag
> >>  Reported-by: kernel test robot <oliver.sang@intel.com>
> >>  Link: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YvEgyQM%2FWi0E2J3J@xsang-OptiPlex-9020/
> >> ```
> >>
> >> Obviously you need the msgid of the mail before you sent it in this
> >> case, but I assume you generate those mails semi-automatically anyway,
> >> so it hopefully won't be too hard to add this.
> >
> > Thanks, this is really great suggestion for us, we will be able to add
> > this Link tag in future.
>
> Great, thx.
>
> > [...]
> >> I care deeply in the case of 0-bot when the reports contains lines like
> >> this:

> >> That's because regzbot uses the URL in Link: tags to associate patch
> >> postings and commits with reports -- and even automatically closes
> >> regression tracking entries in case a fix linking to a tracked report is
> >> committed to the appropriate tree. A proper "Link:" tag thus saves me a
> >> lot of trouble, as I otherwise have to tell regzbot manually about each
> >> fix for tracked issues, which quickly becomes a PITA. :-/
> >>
> >> BTW: I noticed this was not the only recent reports from the kernel test
> >> robot that directly got regzbot involved, but not all do. Is some bot
> >> decising this or a human?
> >
> > this is controlled by human, we try to connect with regzbot for the regression
> > we found on mainline. So we add #regzbot after we confirm the issue is valid
> > on mainline.
>
> Okay, good to know. As maybe visible between the lines in the other mail
> I linked above already: I guess it's fine that way and we should
> continue with this and just see how it goes.

Got it, as replied in https://lore.kernel.org/regressions/57c596f7-014f-1833-3173-af3bad2ca45d@leemhuis.info/,
we will get ready for what you suggested, and send selected reports on mainline
to regzbot.

> > BTW: 0day does testing on nearly all repos from developer to maintainers
> > to next and mainline, thus part of them are bisected down to mainline.
>
> Yeah, I know. Regzbot in principle is handling next as well, but I guess
> we should ignore that for now with 0day, as keeping an eye on the
> reports against mainline keeps me quite busy already.

Got it, we will focus on mainline to track valuable ones.

> >> Because the thing is: the time I can spend on tracking regressions is
> >> limited, hence I (at least for now) want to avoid spending any time on
> >> regressions that likely only ever show up in CI testing. But if the
> >
> > got it, probably we need consider a few test suites (and kernel configruations)
> > that is more "standard", such as kselftests. But this is hard, for example,
> > we detects performance issue on micro benchmark, and it only shows one perspective
> > to developer as it may not reflect the use scenario of developer (thus sometimes
> > it is not reasonable/necessary to fix).
>
> Yeah, it's hard. :-/
>
> >> problem is something that is likely to be seen in the wild it's totally
> >> okay for me if you get regzbot involved. FWIWI, it remains to be seen if
> >> that's a good idea in general (and is likely something I will bring up
> >> for discussion on this years kernel summit), but let's just give it a
> >> try. :-D
> >
> > Thanks, we will stop this default behavior to send them directly regzbot.
>
> See above, as I said, it's fine for me if you just continue to get
> regzbot involved for now and I'll get in contact if it becomes a problem
> for me.

Got it, thanks a lot

> > [...]
> > BTW: i want to consult that anyone (or CI) else send report to regzbot directly so far?
> >
> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/6b12a0b4-2f6d-1c35-f2e2-a28022583c47@leemhuis.info/
>
> A few developers and users get regzbot directly involved when reporting
> regressions, but I add most of the issues to the tracking. But no CI is
> doing it currently. How to handle reports from CI is actually something
> I hope to discuss on kernel and/or maintainers summit in ~10 days, if
> time permits.

We will be very glad to follow the decision if any is made there, and share
our thinking along the way to see how 0-day can be useful in this regression
tracking process.