regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Too many BDL entries regression
@ 2023-03-04 15:41 Laurent Lyaudet
From: Laurent Lyaudet @ 2023-03-04 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: regressions

Hello,

Thanks for your hard work :)
Ubuntu 22.10 shipped kernel 5.19.0-35 thursday.
And some people started having syslogs :
"Too many BDL entries"
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1457367/snd-hda-intel-0000001f-3-too-many-bdl-entries-messages-in-system-log

I looked here how to report it :
https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html
and searched for "Too many BDL entries" but found nothing

I looked at versions here :
https://kernel.org/
but I don't know if version 5.19 should be reported at
stable@vger.kernel.org
since it is in between
5.15.98
and 6.1.15
or maybe Ubuntu does some renumbering ?

Excuse me if my report does not contain all needed data,
or should be addressed elsewhere.
Sorry if I cannot do all the checks with latest kernel ;
my current laptop is my only PC for work,
and I would prefer to avoid breaking it, even for a day or two.

Nevertheless, I would be happy to provide log extracts or other
information that may help.

Have a nice week-end, best regards,
    Laurent Lyaudet

* Re: Too many BDL entries regression
@ 2023-03-04 15:53 ` Laurent Lyaudet
From: Laurent Lyaudet @ 2023-03-04 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: regressions

Hello,

I filled a bug report to Ubuntu also :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2009271
It should contain all the data about my hardware :)

Best regards,
    Laurent Lyaudet

@ 2023-03-04 16:17   ` Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)
From: Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) @ 2023-03-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Lyaudet, stable; +Cc: regressions

On 04.03.23 16:53, Laurent Lyaudet wrote:

> I filled a bug report to Ubuntu also :
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2009271

That's the right thing to do, as it's definitely something the Ubuntu
folks caused if its recent.

To quote https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html

"Are you facing an issue with a Linux kernel a hardware or software
vendor provided? Then in almost all cases you are better off to stop
reading this document and reporting the issue to your vendor instead […]"

In an ideal world it would not be like that, but we don't live in one.

The reference section of above document explains this aspect in more
detail, albeit it doesn't really explain one aspect that is quite
relevant in this case here: the kernel.org community doesn't maintain
5.19.y anymore, it was deemed "end of life" months ago. But if you can
reproduce the issue with the latest mainline release, feel free to raise
as outlined in above document.

HTH, Ciao, Thorsten

@ 2023-03-04 16:29 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2023-03-04 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Lyaudet; +Cc: stable, regressions

On Sat, Mar 04, 2023 at 04:41:23PM +0100, Laurent Lyaudet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your hard work :)
> Ubuntu 22.10 shipped kernel 5.19.0-35 thursday.

There's not much we can do about this old and obsolete kernel version,
sorry.  Please work with your distro to resolve it.

If you use a kernel.org release, we will be glad to help you out, as you
point out, that is much newer as can be seen on the front page of
www.kernel.org

thanks!

greg k-h