regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com>
	John Garry <john.g.garry@oracle.com>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Sagar Biradar <sagar.biradar@microchip.com>,
	"Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@oracle.com>,
	 Adaptec OEM Raid Solutions <aacraid@microsemi.com>
Cc: "stable@vger.kernel.org" <stable@vger.kernel.org>,
	Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org>, Hannes Reinecke <hare@suse.de>,
	scsi <linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Gilbert Wu <gilbert.wu@microchip.com>
Subject: Re: scsi regression that after months is still not addressed and now bothering 6.1.y users, too
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:31:48 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2023-11-21 at 14:24 +0100, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten
Leemhuis) wrote:
> On 21.11.23 14:05, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Tue, 2023-11-21 at 13:24 +0100, Linux regression tracking
> > (Thorsten
> > Leemhuis) wrote:
> > > On 21.11.23 12:30, John Garry wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Sorry, I'm just the man-in-the-middle: you need to ask in the
> > > ticket, as  the privacy policy for bugzilla.kernel.org does not
> > > allow to CC the reporters from the ticket here without their
> > > consent.
> >
> > How did you arrive at that conclusion?
>
> To quote https://bugzilla.kernel.org/createaccount.cgi:
> """
> Note that your email address will never be displayed to logged out
> users. Only registered users will be able to see it.
> """

OK, so someone needs to update that to reflect reality.

> Not sure since when it's there. Maybe it was added due to EU GDPR?
> Konstantin should know. But for me that's enough to not CC people. I
> even heard from one well known kernel developer that his company got
> GDPR complaint because he had mentioning the reporters name and email
> address in a Reported-by: tag.
>
> Side note: bugbot afaics can solve the initial problem (e.g. interact
> with reporters in bugzilla by mail without exposing their email
> address). But to use bugbot one *afaik* still has to reassign a
> ticket to a specific product and component in bugzilla. Some
> subsystem maintainers don't want that, as that issues then does not
> show up in the usual queries.

I'm not sure we need to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Switching
to email is a standard maintainer response:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230324133646.16101dfa666f253c4715d965@linux-foundation.org/
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230314144145.07a3e680362eb77061fe6d0e@linux-foundation.org/

James