regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: "Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)" <regressions@leemhuis.info>
To: Felix Richter <judge@felixrichter.tech>,
	Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com>
Cc: amd-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org, dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X iGPU - Blinking Issue
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 16:12:48 +0200	[thread overview]

On 02.05.23 15:48, Felix Richter wrote:
> On 5/2/23 15:34, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
>> On 02.05.23 15:13, Alex Deucher wrote:

>>> This sounds exactly like the issue that was fixed in this patch which
>>> is already on it's way to Linus:
>>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/agd5f/linux/-/commit/08da182175db4c7f80850354849d95f2670e8cd9
>> FWIW, you in the flood of emails likely missed that this is the same
>> thread where you yesterday replied "If the module parameter didn't help
>> then perhaps you are seeing some other issue.  Can you bisect?". That's
>> why I decided to add this to the tracking. Or am I missing something
>> obvious here?
>>
>> /me looks around again and can't see anything, but that doesn't have to
>> mean anything...
>>
>> Felix, btw, this guide might help you with the bisection, even if it's
>> just for kernel compilation:
>>
>> https://docs.kernel.org/next/admin-guide/quickly-build-trimmed-linux.html
>>
>> And to indirectly reply to your mail from yesterday[1]. You might want
>> to ignore the arch linux kernel git repo and just do a bisection between
>> 6.1 and the latest 6.2.y kernel using upstream repos; and if I were you
>> I'd also try 6.3 or even mainline before that, in case the issue was
>> fixed already.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://lore.kernel.org/all/04749ee4-0728-92fe-bcb0-a7320279eaac@felixrichter.tech/
>>
> Thanks for the pointers, I'll do a bisection on my desktop from 6.1 to
> the newest commit.

FWIW, I wonder what you actually mean with "newest commit" here: a
bisection between 6.1 and mainline HEAD might be a waste of time, *if*
this is something that only happens in 6.2.y (say due to a broken or
incomplete backport)

> That was the part I was mostly unsure about … where
> to start from.
>
> I was planning to use PKGBUILD scripts from arch to achieve the same
> configuration as I would when installing
> the package and just rewrite the script to use a local copy of the
> source code instead of the repository.
> That way I can just use the bisect command, rebuild the package and test
> again.

In my experience trying to deal with Linux distro's package managers
creates more trouble than it's worth.

> But I probably won't be able to finish it this week, since I am on
> vacation starting tomorrow and will not have access to the computer in
> question. I will be back next week, by that time the patch Alex is
> talking about might
> already be in mainline. So if that fixes it, I will notice and let you
> know. If not I will do the bisection to figure out what the actual issue
> is.

Enjoy your vacation!

Ciao, Thorsten