regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev@gmail.com>
To: gregkh@linuxfoundation.org, hui.wang@canonical.com,
	rafael.j.wysocki@intel.com
Cc: stable@vger.kernel.org, regressions@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: Patch "Revert "ACPI: resources: Add checks for ACPI IRQ override"" has been added to the 5.13-stable tree
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 08:15:11 -0400	[thread overview]

On 7/31/21 2:56 AM, gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:

> This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
>
>      Revert "ACPI: resources: Add checks for ACPI IRQ override"
>
> to the 5.13-stable tree which can be found at:
>      http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
>
> The filename of the patch is:
>       revert-acpi-resources-add-checks-for-acpi-irq-override.patch
> and it can be found in the queue-5.13 subdirectory.
>
> If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> please let <stable@vger.kernel.org> know about it.
>

>  From e0eef3690dc66b3ecc6e0f1267f332403eb22bea Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Hui Wang <hui.wang@canonical.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 23:19:58 +0800
> Subject: Revert "ACPI: resources: Add checks for ACPI IRQ override"
>
> From: Hui Wang <hui.wang@canonical.com>
>
> commit e0eef3690dc66b3ecc6e0f1267f332403eb22bea upstream.

Confirming that this^ revert resolves the reported non-boot regression

System does boot cleanly; but, then REboots @ 60 seconds.

It's a known bug, with fix already in 5.13.9/stable:

  Revert "watchdog: iTCO_wdt: Account for rebooting on second timeout"
  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable-rc.git/commit/?h=linux-5.13.y&id=02db470b866fd06d8951

, causing TCO watchdog auto-reboot @ 60 secs.

Although particularly nasty on servers with /boot on RAID, breaking arrays if watchdog boots before arrays correctly assembled, iiuc, it's UN-related

With interim workaround

  edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

+	blacklist iTCO_wdt
+	blacklist iTCO_vendor_support

for this second issue in place, 5.13.8 boots & appears stable.