regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Adrien Precigout <dev@asdrip.fr>
To: stable@vger.kernel.org
Cc: regressions@lists.linux.dev, erik.kaneda@intel.com
Subject: Re: Tr: Unable to boot on multiple kernel with acpi
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:27:39 +0200	[thread overview]

> Hi,
>
> On my acer swift 3 (SF314-51), I can't boot on my device since
> 4.19.198 (no issue with 4.19.197) without adding "acpi=off" in the
> parameters. Same thing happens on 5.12.19 (didn't happened in
> 5.12.16), 5.13.4 and .5 and 5.10.52.
>
> If acpi is not off issue is :
> -black screen after grub,
> -no errors, no activity (tested by leaving the pc 10 hours), no tty,
> no logs whatsoever in journalctl as if the kernel didn't start. Even
> adding 'debug' or 'initcall_debug' doesn't show anything.
>
> If I add acpi=off, the screen blinks one time and boots normally but
> after kernel 5.10 (5.12 and 5.13) I loose usage of keyboard and touchpad.
>
> Notes:
> - I'm using Manjaro KDE
> - I have tested with 4.19.198 Vanilla (config file attached) and same
> thing happened
> - setting nomodeset doesn't change anything
> - tried every acpi parameters, only =off worked
> - Bios was not updated, but the bug persisted after upgrading it
> - Acpi issue is recurrent with this pc it seems below 4.11
> (https://askubuntu.com/questions/929904/cant-pass-the-acpi-off-problem
> <https://askubuntu.com/questions/929904/cant-pass-the-acpi-off-problem>)
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Adrien

Hi again,

I've done a bisect on the 4.19.y branch and I've found that it is the
commit 2bf1f848ca0af4e3d49624df49cbbd5511ec49a3 [ACPICA: Fix memory leak
caused by _CID repair function] that introduced the bug. By doing a git
revert and building the kernel I can boot normally but as long as this
commit exist I just get a black screen as explained above.

BR,

Adrien