rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl>
To: Sven Van Asbroeck <thesven73@gmail.com>, rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Short Circuit simplest Rust driver that touches real hardware?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:17:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Sven,
Hi Rust for Linux people,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 05:11:54PM -0400, Sven Van Asbroeck wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 4:58 PM Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2021, Sven Van Asbroeck wrote:
> > }
> > }   ... one specific piece of hardware ...
> > }
> >
> > Hope that hardware manufactures see this opportunity.  Because I fear that
> > this cool project might get botched due lack of knowledge on hardware.
> >

> Thanks for your input. Would you be able to elaborate why we lack
> knowledge on these Raspberry Pi peripherals?

Hearsay "Broadcom doesn't provide hardware documentation".

> Take the rng. When reading its driver here:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/char/hw_random/bcm2835-rng.c?h=v5.12#n62

Header of the file

  // SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
  /*
   * Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Broadcom. All rights reserved.
   * Copyright (c) 2013 Lubomir Rintel
   */

not the same as a datasheet or other hardware information.

Lets call it "the best we have"    :-/

> it appears to be the case that the h/w is setup by writing a value to
> two registers (RNG_STATUS, RNG_CTRL). Random data can then be read by
> monitoring RNG_STATUS followed by a read from RNG_DATA.
>
> Should be as simple as they come, no? What am I missing?

I can't tell how much those questions are rhetorical. So my guidance is

    People who say it cannot be done
    should not interrupt those who are doing it.

> > Implementing kernel module for 8250 UART in Rust is something that
> > wouldn't get botched due lack of hardware knowledge.
>
> That's true, but also much more complex. Doesn't it depend on clocks
> and interrupts? That's infrastructure we don't yet have in Rust.

Which make this project such an interesting project.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse