rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Fabio Aiuto <fabioaiuto83@gmail.com>
To: Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@gmail.com>
Cc: rust-for-linux <rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Question on Box<T> smart pointer
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:33:12 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:22:23AM -0400, Alex Gaynor wrote:
> Box<T> in the kernel allocates on the kernel heap, via kmalloc. This
> is done by providing a Rust GlobalAllocator:
> https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/blob/rust/rust/kernel/allocator.rs#L11

so this code:

pub struct KernelAllocator;

unsafe impl GlobalAlloc for KernelAllocator {
    unsafe fn alloc(&self, layout: Layout) -> *mut u8 {
        // `krealloc()` is used instead of `kmalloc()` because the latter is
        // an inline function and cannot be bound to as a result.
        bindings::krealloc(ptr::null(), layout.size(), bindings::GFP_KERNEL) as *mut u8
    }

    unsafe fn dealloc(&self, ptr: *mut u8, _layout: Layout) {
        bindings::kfree(ptr as *const c_types::c_void);
    }
}

overrides the default behaviour of Box<T> defined
in core::alloc::GlobalAlloc, doesn't it?

So this code overrides the general heap allocation
facility, not just Box<T>, right?

thank you,

fabio