rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Robin Randhawa <robin.randhawa@arm.com>
To: rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org
Cc: nd@arm.com
Subject: Meeting minutes (Sat 8 May 2021)
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 21:22:58 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi folks.

Summarised meeting minutes (Saturday 8th May 2021)

News
----

* "Good-first-issue" tag added to current issues. We got a contributor as a
   result!

* A question came up: What fields do we need in the module macro ? Some mods
   made to the macro as a result.

* Rustdoc feature that is used by the project is now stabilised in Rust. Also
   @argfile.

* RISC-V support added to CI.

* Thanks to Finn and others, we can now use rust-analyzer for all the crates
   used by the kernel and dependencies.

* Improved nixOS support.

* Driver contribution: Dummy network driver, contributed by Finn.

* Driver contribution: RNG driver for use on RPi, contributed by Sven.

General comments
----------------

* As discussed previously, there shall now be 2 meetings moving forwards. One
   every alternate Saturday and another one during the working week.

   The former is for a free form, informal, general catch-up. The latter is a
   technically focused one.

   Apart from these 2 meetings, if anyone has any pressing matters to discuss,
   please send an email out to the list and folks can decide if they want to meet
   to discuss.

   For all meets, please try and share an agenda ahead of time so folks can prep
   accordingly.

* Generally speaking, PRs should be the way to go for any code that needs
   discussing.

* When using qemu note that most distros as of now do not have a sufficiently
   new one. Eg Working with RISC-V will need qemu v6.

Questions and Answers
---------------------

Q Should wrapper structs use repr(transparent) ?

- No

Q Should everything that wraps a pointer implement the PointerWrapper Trait ?

- If there is an intent to pass a pointer from Rust -> C and then back, that’s
   where the trait is used.

- There is a DenyList feature in bindgen that can be used to deal with
   problematic structs. Also OpaqueList.

Q Can we not use cargo ? It would help with dependency management etc.

- No. Reasons enumerated here: https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/pull/52.
   Cargo has a bunch of problems that need resolving (output interleaving with
   Makefiles, cargo workspace issues).

Q Why are we using Cstrings that are different from the std lib ?

- Because they need to be null terminated. Alternative strategies that guarantee
   null termination welcome.

Q What about the previously discussed use of the Zulip chat platform ?

- Not done yet. Should happen shortly. ** Action: Miguel **

Cheers,
Robin