rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* workflow
@ 2021-05-09  7:33 Fabio Aiuto
From: Fabio Aiuto @ 2021-05-09  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

Good morning all,

I need some clarifications about the workflow.

As a newcomer in kernel development and open source development
in general I got a little used to with the forkflow in Greg's staging
subsystem.

The tool I'm used to work with is, at the moment, command line git
against Greg's tree.

I tried to apply the same approach on rust-for-linux tree but I noticed
some differences, first of all the use of GitHub.

One misterious to me side effect is that the command `git show` on HEAD
pointing to a PR doesn't show diffs.

After these two enlightening informal meetings I realized that, for this
particular project, I must (and I'm happy to do it) align with you all
using GitHub. Is there a particular join procedure you recommend?

thank you,

fabio

* Re: workflow
@ 2021-05-09  9:31 ` Geert Stappers
From: Geert Stappers @ 2021-05-09  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 09:33:38AM +0200, Fabio Aiuto wrote:
> Good morning all,

Hail all time zones,

> I need some clarifications about the workflow.
>
> As a newcomer in kernel development and open source development
> in general I got a little used to with the forkflow in Greg's staging
> subsystem.
>
> The tool I'm used to work with is, at the moment, command line git
> against Greg's tree.
>
> I tried to apply the same approach on rust-for-linux tree but I noticed
> some differences, first of all the use of GitHub.
>
> One misterious to me side effect is that the command `git show` on HEAD
> pointing to a PR doesn't show diffs.
>
> After these two enlightening informal meetings I realized that, for this
> particular project, I must (and I'm happy to do it) align with you all
> using GitHub. Is there a particular join procedure you recommend?

I think original poster
is not aware of "Rust for Linux" already in the next branch.

> thank you,

My appology for this way too short message.

> fabio

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse

* Re: workflow
@ 2021-05-09 10:42   ` Fabio Aiuto
From: Fabio Aiuto @ 2021-05-09 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Stappers; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 11:31:50AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 09:33:38AM +0200, Fabio Aiuto wrote:
> > Good morning all,
>
> Hail all time zones,
>

> > I need some clarifications about the workflow.
> >
> > As a newcomer in kernel development and open source development
> > in general I got a little used to with the forkflow in Greg's staging
> > subsystem.
> >
> > The tool I'm used to work with is, at the moment, command line git
> > against Greg's tree.
> >
> > I tried to apply the same approach on rust-for-linux tree but I noticed
> > some differences, first of all the use of GitHub.
> >
> > One misterious to me side effect is that the command `git show` on HEAD
> > pointing to a PR doesn't show diffs.
> >
> > After these two enlightening informal meetings I realized that, for this
> > particular project, I must (and I'm happy to do it) align with you all
> > using GitHub. Is there a particular join procedure you recommend?
>
> I think original poster
> is not aware of "Rust for Linux" already in the next branch.

ok I will search on Google what does it means, for sure it's more
friendly even if it requires an account

> > thank you,
>
> My appology for this way too short message.
>

> > fabio
>

> Groeten
> Geert Stappers
> --
> Silence is hard to parse

thank you,

fabio

* Re: workflow
@ 2021-05-09 12:13 ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-05-09 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Aiuto; +Cc: rust-for-linux

Hi Fabio,

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 9:34 AM Fabio Aiuto <fabioaiuto83@gmail.com> wrote:

> One misterious to me side effect is that the command `git show` on HEAD
> pointing to a PR doesn't show diffs.

That is because they are merge commits (i.e. a commit with more than
one parent). `git show` may show a "combined diff" in such a case. For
instance, it does right now with the current commit `rust` is pointing
to, i.e. commit 99bec9d3476d ("Merge pull request #227 from
Kloenk/ra").

See e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40986518/git-show-of-a-merge-commit
for a detailed explanation.

But you are 100% right! The tree does not look like other ones in the
kernel. If you take a look into the other branch (the one I manually
prepare, `rust-next`), it looks like you would expect (and does not
contain GitHub files etc.).

In order to fix this (plus a few other benefits), we will have a
better workflow soon (as soon as I get some time to prepare it, say a
few weeks).

> After these two enlightening informal meetings I realized that, for this
> particular project, I must (and I'm happy to do it) align with you all

It is not a hard requirement -- you can send patches to this mailing
list and I will gladly take them!

The technical benefits of using GitHub for us are the issue tracker
and the CI, mainly.

> using GitHub. Is there a particular join procedure you recommend?

Using GitHub if you already know Git and the kernel workflow is very easy:

  - `git push` your changes to your "forked repo" in GitHub.

  - Create a pull request in the web interface.

That should be pretty much it.

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: workflow
@ 2021-05-09 17:37   ` Fabio Aiuto
From: Fabio Aiuto @ 2021-05-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 02:13:13PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
> On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 9:34 AM Fabio Aiuto <fabioaiuto83@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > One misterious to me side effect is that the command `git show` on HEAD
> > pointing to a PR doesn't show diffs.
>
> That is because they are merge commits (i.e. a commit with more than
> one parent). `git show` may show a "combined diff" in such a case. For
> instance, it does right now with the current commit `rust` is pointing
> to, i.e. commit 99bec9d3476d ("Merge pull request #227 from
> Kloenk/ra").
>
> See e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40986518/git-show-of-a-merge-commit
> for a detailed explanation.
>
> But you are 100% right! The tree does not look like other ones in the
> kernel. If you take a look into the other branch (the one I manually
> prepare, `rust-next`), it looks like you would expect (and does not
> contain GitHub files etc.).
>
> In order to fix this (plus a few other benefits), we will have a
> better workflow soon (as soon as I get some time to prepare it, say a
> few weeks).
>
> > After these two enlightening informal meetings I realized that, for this
> > particular project, I must (and I'm happy to do it) align with you all
>
> It is not a hard requirement -- you can send patches to this mailing
> list and I will gladly take them!
>
> The technical benefits of using GitHub for us are the issue tracker
> and the CI, mainly.
>
> > using GitHub. Is there a particular join procedure you recommend?
>
> Using GitHub if you already know Git and the kernel workflow is very easy:
>
>   - `git push` your changes to your "forked repo" in GitHub.
>
>   - Create a pull request in the web interface.
>
> That should be pretty much it.
>
> Cheers,
> Miguel

thank you so much Miguel, that's all I wanted to know :)

fabio