rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Finn Behrens <me@kloenk.de>
To: Fabio Aiuto <fabioaiuto83@gmail.com>
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: module parameters permission
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 13:26:56 +0200	[thread overview]

The module macro is a proc_macro. This is written in a way to only accept one single iteral at that position. So that is an expected behaviour with the current implementation.
If needed, this macro could be extended with functionality to deal with that case, but if octal values are preferred, I don’t see a reason to introduce that level of complexity.

Finn

> On 29. Apr 2021, at 12:25, Fabio Aiuto <fabioaiuto83@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 12:05:08PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 11:58:20AM +0200, Fabio Aiuto wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to declare module parameters this way:
>>>

>>>   params: {
>>>        scull_major: i32 {
>>>            default: 0,
>>>            permissions: bindings::S_IRUGO as i32,
>>>        },
>>>        scull_minor: i32 {
>>>            default: 0,
>>>            permissions: bindings::S_IRUGO as i32,
>>>        },
>>>
>>> i.e. using S_IRUGO macro exposed by bindgen. But I have the
>>> following compiler error:
>>>
>>> error: proc macro panicked
>>>  --> samples/rust/rust_scull.rs:12:1
>>> 12 | / module! {