rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Upstream Milestone
@ 2021-01-12 21:12 Alex Gaynor
From: Alex Gaynor @ 2021-01-12 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

Hey all,

I wanted to flag for folks that I've created a milestone for us to
track things issues and PRs that we think "absolutely must be
completed before this can be submitted to upstream":
https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/milestones?with_issues=no

Feel free to either add things to the milestone yourself, or leave a
comment suggesting they be added.

Cheers,
Alex

--
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.

* Re: Upstream Milestone
@ 2021-01-13  5:20 ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-01-13  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gaynor; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 3:42 AM Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to flag for folks that I've created a milestone for us to
> track things issues and PRs that we think "absolutely must be
> completed before this can be submitted to upstream":
> https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/milestones?with_issues=no

Initially I did setup a couple milestones and played around with them,
as well as with "Projects", but then after playing with things around,
I found labels easier to manage and more powerful than milestones
(colors, several "categories", several "states" per category, complex
filtering, etc.).

So, for instance, for the "priority" category, we have "required" and
"optional", but one can add more states if needed (e.g. "TBD", "very
low", etc.). To get the equivalent of a "milestone view", one can
filter on Label.

I am fine with going back to milestones if there is an advantage, but
I didn't find it... I am curious what they are good for (perhaps to
get that warm feeling of reading "we are at 90% completion!" ;-),
which is basically an arbitrary number given how they work...).

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: Upstream Milestone
@ 2021-01-13 14:09   ` Alex Gaynor
From: Alex Gaynor @ 2021-01-13 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

I'm not quite sure how I missed the label... this milestone is clearly
duplicative, I'll remove it. I'll see if I can do something with the
labels to make them stick out more so I don't miss them!

Alex

--

@ 2021-01-13 14:38     ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-01-13 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gaynor; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 3:09 PM Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not quite sure how I missed the label... this milestone is clearly
> duplicative, I'll remove it. I'll see if I can do something with the
> labels to make them stick out more so I don't miss them!

No worries!

In case you wonder: the `-` and `•` symbols were chosen as the
"category": Priority and Kind. I picked them as a single symbol to
have something short and elegant (and also make force GitHub sort all
labels by category :-P), similar to what rust-lang/rust does with the
letters (I-, P-, C-, etc.) Hopefully GitHub will implement label
categories...

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: Upstream Milestone
@ 2021-01-13 14:40       ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-01-13 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gaynor; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 3:38 PM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> In case you wonder: the `-` and `•` symbols were chosen as the
> "category": Priority and Kind. I picked them as a single symbol to
> have something short and elegant (and also make force GitHub sort all
> labels by category :-P), similar to what rust-lang/rust does with the
> letters (I-, P-, C-, etc.) Hopefully GitHub will implement label
> categories...

And in case someone wonders: not all symbols seem to force an ordering
on the labels, so I had to try several pairs until I found one that
worked and looked not too bad :-)

Cheers,
Miguel