rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com>
To: Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org>
Cc: "Conor Dooley" <conor.dooley@microchip.com>,
	linux-riscv@lists.infradead.org,
	"Miguel Ojeda" <ojeda@kernel.org>,
	"Alex Gaynor" <alex.gaynor@gmail.com>,
	"Wedson Almeida Filho" <wedsonaf@gmail.com>,
	"Boqun Feng" <boqun.feng@gmail.com>,
	"Gary Guo" <gary@garyguo.net>,
	"Björn Roy Baron" <bjorn3_gh@protonmail.com>,
	"Jonathan Corbet" <corbet@lwn.net>,
	"Paul Walmsley" <paul.walmsley@sifive.com>,
	"Palmer Dabbelt" <palmer@dabbelt.com>,
	"Nathan Chancellor" <nathan@kernel.org>,
	"Nick Desaulniers" <ndesaulniers@google.com>,
	"Tom Rix" <trix@redhat.com>,
	rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org, linux-doc@vger.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, llvm@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] RISC-V: enable rust
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 09:20:40 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 11:32 PM Conor Dooley <conor@kernel.org> wrote:

> It was a few hours ago that I looked properly, but, IIRC, it was a
> conversion from config files to code? My understanding was that
> config files were not copyrightable, hence I looked only at the
> authorship of the code. I'm usually on the anal side about SoB stuff,
> so it is not a matter of me not bothering!

It is not so much about copyright, but about crediting people fairly.
Gary has done a significant amount of the work that eventually became
part of the patches here, and I would have sent the patch with at
least a `Co-developed-by` from him.

Not to mention every commit in the kernel has a SoB, regardless of
what files are modified -- I would not remove a SoB from somebody else
when forwarding a patch even if they were all non-copyrightable files.

Cheers,
Miguel