rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com>
To: list@johnericson.me
Cc: rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Rust for Linux] Happy new year & Poll for call
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 09:26:04 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:25 AM John Ericson <list@johnericson.me> wrote:

> I'm sure you all actively working on this project will have more to say than me, but in the interest of keeping track of loose ends I made in the first place, I
>
>  - Posted https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/dogfooding-z-build-std-in-rustbuild/13775 about how -Z build-std could get more polish
>  - poked https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/77916
>
> Hope some of that is of interest,

Of course it is!

On the topic of -Z build-std, I have been working on [1] which
integrates the building of core, alloc, etc. in Kbuild instead of
using build-std.

In the end, it turned out to be easier than I expected, which was a
pleasure. While the particular build steps may not always remain the
same (perhaps due to change of editions, splits into smaller crates,
etc.), I think it is a good idea, nevertheless, to keep the building
of these few critical crates as simple as reasonably possible for
projects that don't use Cargo -- even if build-std stabilizes, starts
getting used by rustbuild itself, etc.

[1] https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/pull/52

Cheers,
Miguel