rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com>
To: Fabio Aiuto <fabioaiuto83@gmail.com>
Cc: rust-for-linux <rust-for-linux@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: workflow
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 14:13:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Fabio,

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 9:34 AM Fabio Aiuto <fabioaiuto83@gmail.com> wrote:

> One misterious to me side effect is that the command `git show` on HEAD
> pointing to a PR doesn't show diffs.

That is because they are merge commits (i.e. a commit with more than
one parent). `git show` may show a "combined diff" in such a case. For
instance, it does right now with the current commit `rust` is pointing
to, i.e. commit 99bec9d3476d ("Merge pull request #227 from
Kloenk/ra").

See e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40986518/git-show-of-a-merge-commit
for a detailed explanation.

But you are 100% right! The tree does not look like other ones in the
kernel. If you take a look into the other branch (the one I manually
prepare, `rust-next`), it looks like you would expect (and does not
contain GitHub files etc.).

In order to fix this (plus a few other benefits), we will have a
better workflow soon (as soon as I get some time to prepare it, say a
few weeks).

> After these two enlightening informal meetings I realized that, for this
> particular project, I must (and I'm happy to do it) align with you all

It is not a hard requirement -- you can send patches to this mailing
list and I will gladly take them!

The technical benefits of using GitHub for us are the issue tracker
and the CI, mainly.

> using GitHub. Is there a particular join procedure you recommend?

Using GitHub if you already know Git and the kernel workflow is very easy:

  - `git push` your changes to your "forked repo" in GitHub.

  - Create a pull request in the web interface.

That should be pretty much it.

Cheers,
Miguel