rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Assisting with kernel Rust development
@ 2021-07-06 17:19 Amy Parker
From: Amy Parker @ 2021-07-06 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie, rust-for-linux

Hello!

My name is Amy Parker. You may have seen me on the kernel forums before under my previous email address <enbyamy@gmail.com>.

It's been a while since I've attempted to contribute to the kernel, so I figured I'd post here. My previous attempt had been under Matthew Wilcox's direction to modify the DAX driver for NVDIMMs to use XA_ZERO_ENTRY to represent a zero page instead of DAX_ZERO_PAGE (allowing us to save a constant) - but this failed since the ascending values of other flags conflicted with the value presented by XA_ZERO_ENTRY.

I saw the recent patch sequence adding Rust support to the kernel. As a Rust developer, I figured I could get back into kernel development because of this, and was wondering how I could help. Are there any active objectives that need work?

* Re: Assisting with kernel Rust development
@ 2021-07-06 17:23 ` Alex Gaynor
From: Alex Gaynor @ 2021-07-06 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amy Parker; +Cc: linux-newbie, rust-for-linux

Hi Amy,

Glad to hear you're interested! We've got a whole bunch of open bugs
on https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/issues, so that's always a
starting point for looking for things to work on.

Cheers,
Alex

--
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.

* Re: Assisting with kernel Rust development
@ 2021-07-06 17:39   ` Amy Parker
From: Amy Parker @ 2021-07-06 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gaynor; +Cc: linux-newbie, rust-for-linux

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 10:23 AM Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Amy,
>
> Glad to hear you're interested! We've got a whole bunch of open bugs
> on https://github.com/Rust-for-Linux/linux/issues, so that's always a
> starting point for looking for things to work on.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 1:19 PM Amy Parker
> <apark0006@student.cerritos.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > My name is Amy Parker. You may have seen me on the kernel forums before under my previous email address <enbyamy@gmail.com>.
> >
> > It's been a while since I've attempted to contribute to the kernel, so I figured I'd post here. My previous attempt had been under Matthew Wilcox's direction to modify the DAX driver for NVDIMMs to use XA_ZERO_ENTRY to represent a zero page instead of DAX_ZERO_PAGE (allowing us to save a constant) - but this failed since the ascending values of other flags conflicted with the value presented by XA_ZERO_ENTRY.
> >
> > I saw the recent patch sequence adding Rust support to the kernel. As a Rust developer, I figured I could get back into kernel development because of this, and was wondering how I could help. Are there any active objectives that need work?
> >

> --
> All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.

Okay, I will!

Thank you.

    -amyip