rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Poll for call
@ 2021-04-19 16:14 Miguel Ojeda
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-04-19 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

Hi all,

Now that some days have passed since the RFC, let's have one of our calls.

I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
prefer, if any.

As usual, anybody is welcome to join. The meetings take place on
Google Meet. The invitation link will be sent later on to those
interested.

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-19 18:15 ` Nick Desaulniers
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-04-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 9:16 AM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now that some days have passed since the RFC, let's have one of our calls.
>
> I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
> as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
> prefer, if any.
>
> As usual, anybody is welcome to join. The meetings take place on
> Google Meet. The invitation link will be sent later on to those
> interested.

SGTM; either work for me.

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-19 20:42 ` Josh Triplett
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Josh Triplett @ 2021-04-19 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

Either day works for me, and I'd love to join.

Linux Plumbers Conference and Kernel Summit are coming up. I'd like to
propose a "What Does the Kernel Need from Rust?" session, with my lang
and libs hats on.

I'd also love to talk about the recent LKML thread, and the plans for a
custom alloc crate vs reusing the Rust alloc crate.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 06:14:56PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that some days have passed since the RFC, let's have one of our calls.
>
> I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
> as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
> prefer, if any.
>
> As usual, anybody is welcome to join. The meetings take place on
> Google Meet. The invitation link will be sent later on to those
> interested.
>
> Cheers,
> Miguel

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-19 20:52 ` Joshua Abraham
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joshua Abraham @ 2021-04-19 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:31 AM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
> as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
> prefer, if any.

Either works for me, with a slight preference for Saturday.

--
Respectfully,
Josh Abraham

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-19 21:20   ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-04-19 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Triplett; +Cc: Miguel Ojeda, rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:

> Either day works for me, and I'd love to join.
>
> Linux Plumbers Conference and Kernel Summit are coming up. I'd like to
> propose a "What Does the Kernel Need from Rust?" session, with my lang
> and libs hats on.
>
> I'd also love to talk about the recent LKML thread, and the plans for a
> custom alloc crate vs reusing the Rust alloc crate.

I have a microconf proposal for "Toolchains and Kernel MC" (similar to
last year) that I'm waiting to hear back on.  It would be nice if you
could hold that proposal for that MC, rather than the general
"Refereed-track."

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 06:14:56PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Now that some days have passed since the RFC, let's have one of our calls.
> >
> > I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
> > as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
> > prefer, if any.
> >
> > As usual, anybody is welcome to join. The meetings take place on
> > Google Meet. The invitation link will be sent later on to those
> > interested.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Miguel

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-19 23:07     ` Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2021-04-19 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: Miguel Ojeda, rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 02:20:11PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> >
> > Either day works for me, and I'd love to join.
> >
> > Linux Plumbers Conference and Kernel Summit are coming up. I'd like to
> > propose a "What Does the Kernel Need from Rust?" session, with my lang
> > and libs hats on.
> >
> > I'd also love to talk about the recent LKML thread, and the plans for a
> > custom alloc crate vs reusing the Rust alloc crate.
>
> I have a microconf proposal for "Toolchains and Kernel MC" (similar to
> last year) that I'm waiting to hear back on.  It would be nice if you
> could hold that proposal for that MC, rather than the general
> "Refereed-track."

I'd actually like to propose it for Kernel Summit. I'd also be happy to
participate in an LPC session similar to last year.

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-19 23:11       ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-04-19 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Triplett; +Cc: Miguel Ojeda, rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 4:07 PM Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 02:20:11PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Either day works for me, and I'd love to join.
> > >
> > > Linux Plumbers Conference and Kernel Summit are coming up. I'd like to
> > > propose a "What Does the Kernel Need from Rust?" session, with my lang
> > > and libs hats on.
> > >
> > > I'd also love to talk about the recent LKML thread, and the plans for a
> > > custom alloc crate vs reusing the Rust alloc crate.
> >
> > I have a microconf proposal for "Toolchains and Kernel MC" (similar to
> > last year) that I'm waiting to hear back on.  It would be nice if you
> > could hold that proposal for that MC, rather than the general
> > "Refereed-track."
>
> I'd actually like to propose it for Kernel Summit. I'd also be happy to
> participate in an LPC session similar to last year.

Ok, I will recall the "Toolchains and Kernel MC" proposal then; my
main interest was to have a venue for discussion about Rust+Linux; if
there's another venue more appropriate let's use that so that conf
organizers aren't confused by multiple proposals.
~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-20  1:27         ` Josh Triplett
From: Josh Triplett @ 2021-04-20  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: Miguel Ojeda, rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 04:11:42PM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 4:07 PM Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:

> > > I have a microconf proposal for "Toolchains and Kernel MC" (similar to
> > > last year) that I'm waiting to hear back on.  It would be nice if you
> > > could hold that proposal for that MC, rather than the general
> > > "Refereed-track."
> >
> > I'd actually like to propose it for Kernel Summit. I'd also be happy to
> > participate in an LPC session similar to last year.
>
> Ok, I will recall the "Toolchains and Kernel MC" proposal then; my
> main interest was to have a venue for discussion about Rust+Linux; if
> there's another venue more appropriate let's use that so that conf
> organizers aren't confused by multiple proposals.

No, no, I think it absolutely makes sense to have Rust presentations in
a "Toolchains and Kernel" microconference of LPC as well; sorry for the
ambiguity. I think it would make sense to have the Toolchains and Kernel
microconference to discuss Rust in the kernel, as well as other
clang/LLVM topics. I was thinking of proposing something different, a
"what would we like from Rust" session. I had thought to propose that
for Kernel Summit, but I'd love to coordinate and make sure there isn't
any actual or perceived ambiguity for conference organizers, and if
there might be, I'd much rather make sure the focus is on the
microconference. Let's talk about it on the call this weekend.

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-20  1:28         ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-04-20  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers; +Cc: Josh Triplett, rust-for-linux

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 1:11 AM Nick Desaulniers
<ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> Ok, I will recall the "Toolchains and Kernel MC" proposal then; my
> main interest was to have a venue for discussion about Rust+Linux; if
> there's another venue more appropriate let's use that so that conf
> organizers aren't confused by multiple proposals.

Yep, my idea was coordinating this rather than sending different
proposals around -- I have received no replies so far either on my
proposal for a Rust talk (back when the MC was discussed).

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-20  2:22           ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2021-04-20  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: Josh Triplett, rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 6:28 PM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 1:11 AM Nick Desaulniers
> <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I will recall the "Toolchains and Kernel MC" proposal then; my
> > main interest was to have a venue for discussion about Rust+Linux; if
> > there's another venue more appropriate let's use that so that conf
> > organizers aren't confused by multiple proposals.
>
> Yep, my idea was coordinating this rather than sending different
> proposals around -- I have received no replies so far either on my
> proposal for a Rust talk (back when the MC was discussed).

Ah, right, my fault. I'm sorry, I should have provided feedback then
that our MC proposal itself was not the appropriate venue for the
actual talk submissions.  The conf organizers have a call for
microconferences before the microconferences even have topics.  They
want MC organizers to propose ideas, and what was accomplished since
last year as a result of last years' MCs.  Once the MC proposals get
accepted, then the MCs open calls for papers (CFP) for individual
talks.  I'm still waiting to hear from conference organizers when they
will accept talks; last year they did start publishing accepted MCs on
the LPC blog: https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/blog/2021/ (you can
see so far there are no announcements).  Until they accept our MC or
reject it, I cannot even yet open our call for papers.  But note that
my proposal very much was tailored to carving out time for Rust; see
attached.  Once I know if the MC is accepted, then at that point we
will have a CFP.

It's my strong recommendation that the conference talks related to
programming languages be a part of the Toolchains and Kernel MC
(assuming it gets accepted).  Whether it's one or two sessions doesn't
matter to me, though perhaps once we issue the call for papers will
depend on the response.
~Nick Desaulniers

[-- Attachment #2: abstract-12.pdf --]

* Re: Poll for call
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-04-20 11:03 ` Finn Behrens
From: Finn Behrens @ 2021-04-20 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux

Howdy,

I would prefer Saturday, Sunday Could be really complicated for me.

CU,
Finn

> On 19. Apr 2021, at 18:14, Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Now that some days have passed since the RFC, let's have one of our calls.
>
> I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
> as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
> prefer, if any.
>
> As usual, anybody is welcome to join. The meetings take place on
> Google Meet. The invitation link will be sent later on to those
> interested.
>
> Cheers,
> Miguel

* Re: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-20 17:44   ` Adam Bratschi-Kaye
From: Adam Bratschi-Kaye @ 2021-04-20 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Finn Behrens; +Cc: Miguel Ojeda, rust-for-linux

I can do either day.

Adam

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 1:04 PM Finn Behrens <me@kloenk.de> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I would prefer Saturday, Sunday Could be really complicated for me.
>
> CU,
> Finn
>
> > On 19. Apr 2021, at 18:14, Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Now that some days have passed since the RFC, let's have one of our calls.
> >
> > I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
> > as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
> > prefer, if any.
> >
> > As usual, anybody is welcome to join. The meetings take place on
> > Google Meet. The invitation link will be sent later on to those
> > interested.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Miguel

* Re: Poll for call
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-04-21  7:29 ` Robin Randhawa
From: Robin Randhawa @ 2021-04-21  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux, nd

Hi Miguel.

On 19.04.2021 18:14, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Now that some days have passed since the RFC, let's have one of our calls.
>
>I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
>as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
>prefer, if any.
>
>As usual, anybody is welcome to join. The meetings take place on
>Google Meet. The invitation link will be sent later on to those
>interested.

I'd like to join please. Both days and times work for me.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Robin

* Re: Poll for call
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-04-23 18:30 ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-04-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 6:14 PM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I propose next weekend Saturday 24th or Sunday 25th at 18:00 UTC like
> as usual (EU evening / US afternoon). Please let me know which day you
> prefer, if any.

Let's do it tomorrow Saturday 24th 18:00 UTC then.

Cheers,
Miguel

* RE: Poll for call
@ 2021-04-24 16:54   ` Gary Guo
From: Gary Guo @ 2021-04-24 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda, rust-for-linux

On Fri, April 23, 2021 7:31 PM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's do it tomorrow Saturday 24th 18:00 UTC then.

I'd like to join please.

Thanks,
Garry