selinux-refpolicy.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Denis Obrezkov <denisobrezkov@gmail.com>
To: Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>, selinux-refpolicy@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Are we on the wrong track?
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 13:00:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi, Russell,

I am a novice in SELinux, even though I am learning it for a year or so.
And I can't really understand why SELinux is SO complex. Not only the
policy, but the whole SELinux.
For example, there are two different ways of writing a policy - CIL and
the other one. And they have conflicting namesets (typeattribute =
atttribute). At the same time, this behavior is just slightly
documented. One can't create a policy only using information from docs.
At the same time, some parts of SELinux are very unstable. Like, MCS. It
was introduced and it is used only for VM management. And mcstransd is
bad. It's really bad. I was trying to use it and it was totally
unstable. So, even if someone wants to use MCS - it is almost impossible
because tools are unstable and MCS is already almost exclusively used by
VMs.

--
Regards, Denis Obrezkov