selinux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com>
To: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Cc: Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu>,
	Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@redhat.com>,
	"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>,
	Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn@android.com>,
	Paul Moore <paul@paul-moore.com>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	overlayfs <linux-unionfs@vger.kernel.org>,
	linux-fsdevel@vger.kernel.org, selinux@vger.kernel.org,
	Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: overlayfs access checks on underlying layers
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:22:48 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 10:15:49AM -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 09:30:53AM -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:

> > > Okay.

> > > I think you missed my point: opening a device file or executing an
> > > executable wouldn't normally require copy-up.   If
> > >
> > >   -  permission is granted on overlay to task, and
> > >   -  permission is granted on lower layer to mounter,
> > >
> > > then copy-up wouldn't be performed.
> > >
> > > My proposed sequence would be
> > >
> > > a) check task's creds against overlay inode, fail -> return fail, otherwise:
> > > b) check mounter's creds against lower inode, success -> return
> > > success, otherwise:
> > > c) copy up inode, fail -> return fail, otherwise
> > > d) check mounter's creds against upper inode, return result.
> > >
> > > So, unlike write access to regular files, write access to special
> > > files don't necessarily result in copy-up.
> > >
> > > You say this is an escalation of privilege, but I don't get it how.
> > > As DWalsh points out downthread, if mounter cannot create device
> > > files, then the copy-up will simply fail.  If mounter can create
> > > device files, then this is not an escalation of privilege for the
> > > mounter.
> >
> > Yes, in that case there isn't an escalation of privilege for the mounter (I
> > acknowledged that above).  I'm still not sure copy-up of special files is a
> > good idea though:
> >
> > - In the case of device files, there is the potential for mischief by the
> > client task in misusing the mounter's privileges to gain access to otherwise
> > unusable device node (nodev lower vs upper?),
>
> I was thinking about it as well. But client can always bypass permissions
> of lower device inode by first removing device file and then by doing
> a mknod. And that will be equivalent of copy up. IOW, IIUC, we do not deny
> mknod to client and that always creates a way for it to write to device
> file (and it does not matter what are permissions on lower?)

Having said that, this still create little anomaly when mknod to client
is not allowed on context label. So a device file, which is on lower
and client can not open it for read/write on host, it can now be opened
for read/write because mounter will allow access. So why it is different
that regular copy up. Well, in regular copy up, we created a copy of
the original object and allowed writing to that object (cp --preserve=all)
model. But in case of device file, writes will go to same original
object. (And not a separate copy).

Thanks
Vivek