selinux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* question about fs sid
@ 2020-01-27 12:52 Dominick Grift
From: Dominick Grift @ 2020-01-27 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

What is the fs sid used for exactly? What, if any, is its relationship with persistent file systems with xattr support.
Were currently associating a type that is generally also associated with persistent filesystems that support xattr but i dont know why.
Why would it not apply to other filesystems, for example tmpfs or vfat or whatever?

Is the fs sid still used and what do i need to consider when determining what context to associate with it?

--
gpg --locate-keys dominick.grift@defensec.nl
Key fingerprint = FCD2 3660 5D6B 9D27 7FC6  E0FF DA7E 521F 10F6 4098

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: question about fs sid
@ 2020-01-27 13:55 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2020-01-27 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux; +Cc: Dominick Grift

On 1/27/20 7:52 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> What is the fs sid used for exactly? What, if any, is its relationship with persistent file systems with xattr support.
> Were currently associating a type that is generally also associated with persistent filesystems that support xattr but i dont know why.
> Why would it not apply to other filesystems, for example tmpfs or vfat or whatever?
>
> Is the fs sid still used and what do i need to consider when determining what context to associate with it?

Are you referring to the fs initial SID, or to the SID associated with
each filesystem/superblock?

The former appears to be unused by any kernel code other than the
declaration (grep -r SECINITSID_FS).  At one time, it was the default
SID to use for the filesystem/superblock.  Looks like this has never
been used in mainline Linux, just pre-mainline SELinux.  Sadly we cannot
just remove obsolete initial SIDs until we fix
https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux-kernel/issues/12

The latter is still relevant but the defaults are now determined through
fs_use_* or genfscon statements, default to the unlabeled SID if there
is no match, and can be overridden via the fscontext= mount option.  It
is used in permission checks on the superblock/filesystem (e.g. mount,
unmount, ...) and to limit what file contexts can be assigned to files
within the filesystem (associate).

* Re: question about fs sid
@ 2020-01-27 14:08   ` Dominick Grift
From: Dominick Grift @ 2020-01-27 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)