selinux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Dominick Grift <dominick.grift@defensec.nl>
To: "Christian Göttsche" <cgzones@googlemail.com>
Cc: Gionatan Danti <g.danti@assyoma.it>, selinux@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: lnk_file read permission
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:45:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Christian Göttsche <cgzones@googlemail.com> writes:

> Am Fr., 31. Juli 2020 um 12:03 Uhr schrieb Gionatan Danti <g.danti@assyoma.it>:
>>
>> Dear list,
>> I am writing this email as suggested here:
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/selinux@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/GWEWGDUQS6PERAYEJHL2EE4GDO432IAO/
>>
>> To recap: I have issue with selinux permission when relocating specific
>> daemon data directory, and using symlink in the original location. For
>> example, lets consider moving /var/lib/mysql in a new, bigger volume.
>>
>> After moving /var/lib/mysql in /data/lib/mysql and creating a symlink
>> for the new location, I used semanage fcontext to add the relative
>> equivalency rules. Moreover, I changed my.cnf to explicitly point to the
>> new data dir and socket file. So far, so good.
>>
>> When restarting apache, I noticed it can't connect to mysql. ausearch -m
>> avc showed the following:
>> type=AVC msg=audit(1596055762.070:175569): avc:  denied  { read } for
>> pid=72946 comm="httpd" name="mysql" dev="sda2" ino=103
>> scontext=system_u:system_r:httpd_t:s0
>> tcontext=system_u:object_r:mysqld_db_t:s0 tclass=lnk_file permissive=0
>>
>> The log above clearly states that httpd policy lacks lnk_read permission
>> for mysqld_db_t type. While I solved the issue by leaving the socket
>> file inside the original directory (removing the /var/lib/mysql symlink
>> and recreating the mysql dir), I was wondering why each symlink type is
>> specifically allowed
>> rather than giving any processes a generic access to symlinks.
>>
>> Is this kind of rule not permitted by selinux? Can it open the door to
>> other attacks? If so, why? Generally, what is the least invasive
>> approach to relocate services?
>>

> An alternative would be, since these symlinks are trusted and
> permanent, to label them as their parent directory (e.g. var_lib_t
> (use the '-l' file type specifier)) and allow the applications to read
> these lnk types.
> This also prevents e.g. mysqld_t to alter the symlink /var/lib/mysqld
> (since it probably has write permission to mysql_db_t:lnk_file but not
> var_lib_t:lnk_file).

This issue is though that you can't override an existing
"/var/lib/msqld(/.*)?" with an "/var/lib/mysqld -l". The former will
take precendence of the latter AFAIK.

You would have to atleast consistently replace all the
/var/log/bla(/.*)? /var/spool/bla(/.*)? /var/lib/bla(/.*)? with /etc/bla
-d /etc/bla/.* etc for systemd respectively

then add equivalency rules:

/var/log/private /var/log
/var/lib/private /var/lib
/var/spool/private /var/spool

--
gpg --locate-keys dominick.grift@defensec.nl
Key fingerprint = FCD2 3660 5D6B 9D27 7FC6  E0FF DA7E 521F 10F6 4098