SOC Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@kernel.org>
To: Alexandre TORGUE <alexandre.torgue@foss.st.com>
Cc: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>, Olof Johansson <olof@lixom.net>,
	Kevin Hilman <khilman@baylibre.com>,  SoC Team <soc@kernel.org>,
	arm-soc <arm@kernel.org>,
	 Maxime Coquelin <mcoquelin.stm32@gmail.com>,
	Marek Vasut <marex@denx.de>,
	 Ahmad Fatoum <a.fatoum@pengutronix.de>,
	Alexandre TORGUE <alexandre.torgue@st.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] STM32 DT changes for v5.11 #1
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 20:42:19 +0100

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM Alexandre TORGUE
<alexandre.torgue@foss.st.com> wrote:

> Please consider this first round of STM32 DT updates for v5.11. As usual
> main changed concern MPU part. Various fixes have been done, a new board
> has been added for DH and USB type C support has been added for ST DK
> boards.

Out of curiosity, what is your impression of the state of the MCU port?

It seems to me that STM32H7/STM32F7 is by far the most active NOMMU
platform in mainline Linux (with some activity for j2 and recently rv64), but
it's also much less active than it was a few years ago and slowly winding down
further, presumably as other OSs are getting better and full-featured MPUs
are getting almost as cheap.

I also tried to find modern distro support, but I couldn't find anything that
has the elf-fdpic changes that were merged into mainline gcc, instead
it seems any user space is either on binfmt-flat or using elf-fdpic with
ancient patched compilers that can build user space but no longer
build the kernel (which now requires gcc-4.9 or higher), so I wonder if
I'm looking in the wrong places, or if this just doesn't work.

Overall, is this something where you only support existing users for
as long as they are around, or do you keep seeing new products based
on STM32F4/F7/H7?

> Due to company IT changes, for upstream "process" my mail address in no
> longer alexandre.torgue@st.com but alexandre.torgue@foss.st.com. Let me
> know if it causes issue for tag signature. On my side I updated GPG key
> with this new address and it seems ok.

It's no problem on my end, thanks for letting me know.

       Arnd

  parent reply index