Stable Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Nathan Chancellor <natechancellor@gmail.com>
To: Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org>, g@archlinux-i9
Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	stable@vger.kernel.org, Alistair Strachan <astrachan@google.com>,
	Sami Tolvanen <samitolvanen@google.com>,
	Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com>
Subject: Re: LLD patches for x86_64
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 07:21:38 -0700

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 09:58:04AM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 08:51:43PM -0700, Nathan Chancellor wrote:
> > Hi Greg and Sasha,
> >
> > Please apply the following mbox files to their respective trees. They
> > contain upstream patches that allow a tip of tree LLD to link an x86
> > kernel image as well as a patch to avoid using $(LD) to check for
> > the location of binutils, which won't always be accurate when linking
> > with LLD. This was tested with both the upstream defconfig and Android's
> > x86_64_cuttlefish_defconfig in their respective trees (building/linking
> > with both Clang/LLD and GCC/ld.bfd then booting in QEMU).
> >
> > For 5.0, a simple cherry-pick of commit ad15006cc784 ("kbuild: clang:
> > choose GCC_TOOLCHAIN_DIR not on LD") will do.
> >
> > Greg, the merge into kernel/common will result in two conflicts:
> >
> > * Makefile:
> >    Make the diff match upstream commit
> >        ad15006cc784 ("kbuild: clang: choose GCC_TOOLCHAIN_DIR not on LD")
> >
> > * arch/x86/entry/vdso/Makefile:
> >    Take the right hand side, effectively replacing common commit
> >        35b779802c2e ("x86: vdso: Fix leaky vdso linker with CC=clang.")
> >    with the proper upstream commit
> >        379d98ddf413 ("x86: vdso: Use $LD instead of $CC to link")
>
> Nathan,
>
> I might be missing something, but ad15006cc784 does not touch
> arch/x86/entry/vdso/Makefile nor does it generate any conflicts.

Hi Sasha,

You are correct. The conflict notes were for when Greg does the LTS
merge into the Android common kernel, which has an out of tree patch
that will cause a conflict with ad15006cc784. The conflict in the x86
vDSO Makefile comes from the other patches in the series. None of that
matters for upstream.

Thanks,
Nathan