Stable Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Nathan Chancellor <natechancellor@gmail.com>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org>,
	stable@vger.kernel.org, Alistair Strachan <astrachan@google.com>,
	Sami Tolvanen <samitolvanen@google.com>,
	Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@google.com>
Subject: Re: LLD patches for x86_64
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 11:37:01 -0700

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 08:24:57PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 08:51:43PM -0700, Nathan Chancellor wrote:
> > Hi Greg and Sasha,
> >
> > Please apply the following mbox files to their respective trees. They
> > contain upstream patches that allow a tip of tree LLD to link an x86
> > kernel image as well as a patch to avoid using $(LD) to check for
> > the location of binutils, which won't always be accurate when linking
> > with LLD. This was tested with both the upstream defconfig and Android's
> > x86_64_cuttlefish_defconfig in their respective trees (building/linking
> > with both Clang/LLD and GCC/ld.bfd then booting in QEMU).
> >
> > For 5.0, a simple cherry-pick of commit ad15006cc784 ("kbuild: clang:
> > choose GCC_TOOLCHAIN_DIR not on LD") will do.
> >
> > Greg, the merge into kernel/common will result in two conflicts:
> >
> > * Makefile:
> >     Make the diff match upstream commit
> >         ad15006cc784 ("kbuild: clang: choose GCC_TOOLCHAIN_DIR not on LD")
>
> Ugh, I just did every single android-common kernel merge today the wrong
> way for this, so sorry about that.  You told me the right way to do it,
> and I read it backwards, my fault :(

Ah, I see! I could have probably been more clear about how it was going
to conflict as well. At least it wasn't hard to undo, I had a shell one
liner to do most of the work :)

> thanks for the merge information, maybe next time I will be smart enough
> to actually follow it correctly...

I'm glad it was useful, I'll make sure to continue to provide it in the
future.

Thanks for the quick resolution, cheers!
Nathan