stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@protonmail.com>,
	Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org>,
	Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, stable@vger.kernel.org,
	Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@kernel.org>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+huawei@kernel.org>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
Subject: Re: glibc VETO for kernel version SUBLEVEL >= 255
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 17:03:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 01:39:33PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 11:31:20AM +0000, Jari Ruusu wrote:
> > On Sunday, September 26th, 2021 at 14:24, Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > > Why use an older kernel tree on this device? Rasbian seems to be on
> > > 4.19.y at the least right now, is there something in those older kernel
> > > trees that you need?
> >
> > Due to circumstances, I need "smallest possible" kernel with all extra
> > stripped out. 4.9.y kernels are smaller than newer ones.
>
> Smaller by how much, and what portion grew?  Are we building things into
> the kernel that previously was able to be compiled out?  Or is there
> something new added after 4.9 that adds a huge memory increase?
>
> Figuring that out would be good as you only have 1 more year for 4.9.y
> to be alive, that's not going to last for forever...

FWIW a situation I faced a few times was trying to put a modern kernel
on a small NAND partition of an older device. Nowadays kernels are really
big. I don't have numbers here but for example I never managed to make a
5.10 fit into the 4 MB partition of an old armv5 device where its 3.4 had
plenty of room. And there isn't a single thing to disable, it looks more
like a systemic growth, probably due to all the stuff we now have to
improve large systems performance and harden everything.

Willy