Hi Ted, Good point! This paragraph can be just dropped as the next one describes the issue with superblock re-read. Will send v2 shortly. Thanks, —Alexey > On May 20, 2021, at 9:43 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote: > > On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 10:19:28PM +0000, Alexey Makhalov wrote: >> I've recently discovered that doing infinite loop of >> systemctl start .mount, and >> systemctl stop .mount >> linearly increases percpu allocator memory consumption. >> In several hours, it might lead to system instability by >> consuming most of the memory. >> >> Bug is not reproducible when the ext4 filesystem is on >> physical partition, but it is persistent when ext4 is on >> logical volume. > > Why is this the case? It sounds like we're looking a buffer for each > mount where the block size is not 1k. It shouldn't matter whether it > is a physical partition or not. > > - Ted