stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org>
To: Acid Bong <acidbong@tilde.cafe>
	Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com>,
	stable@vger.kernel.org, linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@kernel.org>,
	linux-pci@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] Asus X541UAK hangs on suspend and poweroff (v6.1.6 onward)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 14:32:45 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 01:26:23PM +0300, Acid Bong wrote:
> >Can you collect the complete dmesg log and output of "sudo lspci -vv"
> >and post them somewhere (https://bugzilla.kernel.org is a good place)?
> `lspci -vvnn` output is linked in the head of the thread. Append .txt to make it readable in the browser (I only understood it after the upload).
>
> >Ideally the dmesg would be from the most recent kernel you have.
>
> Speaking of that, a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Should I post them with or without pci=nomsi/noaer? The problem
> with disabling it is that it floods the logs so fast, that they
> reach 700M in 5-7 minutes, and, when rotation is enabled (my
> parameters are default, up to 10 copies 10M each), all pre-flood
> data is lost instantly.

You're seeing AER logging, and that's what I'm interested in, so if
you could do one quick boot *without* "pci=nomsi" and "pci=noaer",
that would be great.  Then turn it off again so you don't drown in
logs.

The snippet from [1] shows a few messages related to 00:1c.5, and it
would be useful to know if there are errors related to other devices
as well.

Something like "head -c500K /var/log/dmesg > file" should be plenty.

> Also I'm currently bisecting the kernel with MSI disabled in the
> config. But I'm keeping the parameter in the bootloader for cases
> when I'm using Gentoo's prebuilt kernel.
>
> 2) Can I delete messages by ufw? They contain MACs of my router,
> laptop and cellphone and I don't really wanna share them

Sure, delete those.

> 3) I'm not savvy in logs, how exactly should I share dmesg? `dmesg >
> file`? /var/log/syslog? I already know kern.log doesn't contain
> logind and some other messages that are present in dmesg
>
> 4) Should we continue in this thread or rather start a new one?

Good point, a new thread would probably be better.

Bjorn

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/CRWCUOAB4JKZ.3EKQN1TFFMVQL@bong/