target-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Missing message prefix in target_core_device.c
@ 2021-06-30 13:50 David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2021-06-30 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi, target-devel; +Cc: martin.petersen

Hi,

I've noticed that after loading the target core there's a message in
syslog

  "Rounding down aligned max_sectors from 4294967295 to 4294967288"

but without a prefix, printed from drivers/target/target_core_device.c.
It's pr_info so the prefix should be defined at the top of the file as
pr_fmt and it'll be picked by the pr_* macros automatically.

I'm not sending a patch as I don't know what would be the preferred
prefix, eg. drivers/target/target_core_user.c prints "tcmu daemon" but
does not use pr_*, and there are several bare printk calls in the same
file.  This should be unified in some way but I'm not familiar with the
target code.

d.

* Re: Missing message prefix in target_core_device.c
@ 2021-07-19  1:03 ` Martin K. Petersen
From: Martin K. Petersen @ 2021-07-19  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Sterba; +Cc: linux-scsi, target-devel, martin.petersen

David,

>   "Rounding down aligned max_sectors from 4294967295 to 4294967288"
>
> but without a prefix, printed from drivers/target/target_core_device.c.
> It's pr_info so the prefix should be defined at the top of the file as
> pr_fmt and it'll be picked by the pr_* macros automatically.
>
> I'm not sending a patch as I don't know what would be the preferred
> prefix, eg. drivers/target/target_core_user.c prints "tcmu daemon" but
> does not use pr_*, and there are several bare printk calls in the same
> file.  This should be unified in some way but I'm not familiar with the
> target code.

I agree that the target subsystem could do with some improvements in
this area. Many different drivers and components, no consistency in how
things are logged.

Would be a great project for someone. I'll put it on the list.